Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving GP Dyanmics 6.0 PVSQL to a new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkatyal

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2003
US
We are currently running Dynamics 6.0 Pervasive SQL 2000i on Microsoft Small Business server 2000.

We are setting up a SBS 2003 with different computer name so that we can migrate Exchange from the old server.

The dilemma that I am currently facing is how to move Great Plains from the old server to the new server.

Has someone encountered this in the past or a similar situation? Can someone give me some guidance or steps how to tackle this.

Thanks for your help.

There is a Techknowledge (875186) which explains exactly how to do it.

If you follow these steps exactly it will work for you.

My only problem is that I don't have access to the Customer source.

Can you possibly copy the contents from the tech article and post it here.

I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help.

Install SQL on new server with same sort order.
Install GP 6.0 on new server with same account framework.
Restore Dynamics and company databases on new server.

Last thing is to fix the logins as the users will exist in the databases but not as SQL logins. MBS provides scripts to do this.

I believe you can delete the users from the databases. Then add new SQL logins (using existing passwords or make new ones). Then add those as database users. Be sure to first find out which companies the users had access to and add them to both the Public and DYNGRP roles.

That's just my best recollection so I"m not guaranteeing anything. It's better if you had access to CustomerSource but I"m guessing that if you're still on 6.0 you are not current on your enhancement which is a shame. :(

Good luck!

Paraphrased in my own words:

Do a complete install of GP on the new server, same version exactly.

After you install Dynamics (but before launching Dynamics Utilities) you need to copy the SY003001.* and SY00302.* files from "System" folder on the old server to the same on the new server. This may be the most important step to follow correctly. This is where the account definitions are stored.

Launch Utilities and allow it to synchronize to the account framework.

Create new companies from Utilities for each old company in exactly the same order they were created on the old server, using the same name and company ID as on the old server.

Delete ALL the folders within each company folder.

Copy the old folders to the new folder locations.

Copy the files related to users and security from the old server to the new, such as SY01400 (User Master),SY01900 (Financials Security Master),SY01990 (Shortcut Bar Master), SY02000 (Security Restrictions),SY02400 (System Password Master), and SY02600 (User Notes Master). Be aware of any third party products installad as you may have to reinstall them.

Copy the reports.dic file to the new server.

Change the Dex.ini file on each existing station to point to the new server: Workstation=xxxxx and Pathname=xxxxx.

Launch from the station and test, change the path to the reports.dic if necessary.

You probably want to run checklinks on all tables after completion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back