Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving from Windows to Linux Desktop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrcatherine

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2003
US

Hi,

I'm in the process of moving from windows desktop to Linux.

I have emails sitting in Microsoft Outlook express, if i move my desktop to Linux(redhat 9.0) , is there any similar
email program in redhat. Where in I can import from Microsoft outlook express email into redhat linux email program ?

As i dont want to loose my existing stuff in windows.

--Thanks
Cathy

You have about 40 email clients to choose from in Linux. You need to Google for a converter from Outlook proprietary format to either "mbox" or "maildir" formats for linux.

"mbox" is probably more likely if I had to guess, maildir is excellent and might be a better longterm choice. Your mail server folder standard would dictate if you are running your own server. Otherwise, "mbox" with POP3 from an ISP would roughly match the Outlook Express model.

You can use Evolution which is Linux's answer to Outlook. It works and looks just like MS Outlook.

Visit for a free, no need to register, .doc (MS Word) to .pdf (Acrobat) file conversion.

Got one more quick question ?

I have a laptop with 20GB drive in it and partitioned it
into 10GB for windows 2000 professional & Redhat Linux for a Dual boot system.

I had successfully did the above.

Primary boot => Windows 2000 professional C:\ Drive 10GB

Redhat Boot => df

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda6 10546976 2030532 7980680 21% /
/dev/hda5 101089 9323 86547 10% /boot
none 256144 0 256144 0% /dev/shm

Now is there a way I can access the windows C:\ drive when I am in the redhat linux desktop

Or

Can i access that C:\ drive through redhat linux.

---Thanks
Cathy

Yes you can. Although I'm not sure NTFS mounting is supported by RedHat initial setup.

If your windows drive is on the first partition on the first disk you can do this.

Create a directory under /mnt (or anywhere you like)

mkdir mnt

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 path_to_mnt_directory

Now you should be able to READ (NOT WRITE) NTFS drive, i.e. your windows drive.

If some error comes up regarding that hda1 is not a block device or something, try hdax where x is 2,3,4

Visit for a free, no need to register, .doc (MS Word) to .pdf (Acrobat) file conversion.

I'm looking at the WINE for windows emulation on redhat,
hopefully that works.

Is there a way in redhat 9.0 i can run the Terminal services Client to connect to a windows 2000 server (running terminal server) ?

--cathy

Yes, that's what it's for. I find the TS frontend to be buggy, though, and usually use the rdp client directly.

Use rdesktop (Remote Desktop) for that. Works flawlessly

Regarding the mail;
1 - convert your mail in Windows from Outlook to Mozilla
2 - copy the subfolder from your mail profile from Mozilla to Linux
3 - mail in Linux is available

Hi rrsub,

This is what i did:

I had downloaded Mozilla 1.7 for windows and installed on
my Windows 2000 professional system.

This 2000 pro had outlook express 6.0 and had all my emails in it. When i installed this mozilla mail 1.7 on windows system it automatically asked for an import and i had successfully imported all the outlook express emails to mozilla 1.7 mail in windows.

Now what should I do excatly to move all these emails to my redhat 9.0 system (dual boot system) , where i have mozilla 1.2 installed.

Where excatly is the subfolder in my mail folder in windows and where should i copy that in my redhat system ?

---Thanks
Cathy

I cannot mount a windows drive with this command

mkdir /root/windows

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /root/windows

DOES THE WINDOWS DRIVE I AM MOUTING NEEDS TO BE A LOGICAL
DRIVE OR CAN IT BE A PRIMARY DRIVE ( I WANTED TO MOUNT THE
THE WHOLE C:\ DRIVE)

---cathy

First suggestion:
A new question with specific headline would have been better here. Anyway.

That are two commands - which fails?
And how does it fail.
Please provide the exact message.

Avoiding typing and typos, you may redirect the normal feedback-output and errormessages (which are two different things) to a file, to cut'n'paste it to the forum like this:
Code:
mkdir /root/windows > mounting.log 2>&1
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /root/windows >>mounting.log 2>&1
Are you root?
If not, command one should fail.

In either case, /root/windows isn't the best point for mounting drives.
/mnt/windows or /mnt/c would have been more standard-like and better to use for different users.

If your windows is little old, '-t vfat' could be better.
But win2k is normally 'ntfs' which you used.

But guessing is hard - let's wait on the exact errormessage.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back