Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving from Win3.1 to Win 98/Win ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

moyra

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
GB
I need to move a Clipper application run in DOS on an old WIN 3.1 machine to a machine running Win ME or Win 98, although the client is happy to still have it running under DOS. I have tried transferring files but get error 'DBFNTX/1001 Open error:<filename> (DOS error 4)'.
I am a professional programmer but have no experience with Clipper. Can anyone help?

The error is because you don't have enough file handles, increse the amount of files on your config.sys file. I always put mine to 120.

For Windows Me:
How to specify the FILES statement in the config.sys. This is used to set the amount of file handles in an application Job File Table (JTF).

Because Windows ME does not parse the config.sys, however this may be needed for MS-DOS applications this line can be defined in the system.ini in the [386Enh] section by adding the following line:

PerVMFiles=<number>

I am a non programmer and use a custom app for business written in Clipper, but author has retired. I have set up program to successfuly run in WinME but there is one menu option/exe file that when selected or clicked on, goes crazy with an alarm from the computer's tiny speaker. Don't know why. I close the dos window and the only way I can stop the alarm is to restart the machine. Also, can't run this app. Do you know why this is happening?

JeffG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back