Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving from SQL Server to Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbers

Technical User
Jun 23, 2004
US
I'm currently using Crystal Reports XI R2 / Crystal Reports Server XI R2 on a Windows 2003 server. The majority of my reports connect to a SQL Server database running on Windows 2000 via an OLE DB connection. The application is called Connect-Rx and is a McKesson Automation product for the healthcare field.

We are currently upgrading to a newer version of the product and part of the upgrade involves the Connect-Rx product switching to a new platform called "Horizon". This new platform is apparently run on Linux/Unix (?) and uses an Oracle database. The full specs haven't quite filtered down to me yet but I wanted to get some idea of what to expect.

What sort of impact can I expect with the Crystal Reports I have already built? Will they need to be recreated from the ground up or will using the Set Datasource Location function be sufficient?

If additional information is needed, please let me know what would help and I'll try to get it.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you find someone here that has used Connect-RX and Horizon, you're out of luck.

Switching from SQL Server to Oracle is simply a matter of using Set Location, but in your case the Horizon may have a different structure which should have been your first question of the vendor, then you wouldn't have an issue.

Send them an email or call them, it's a known issue and well covered by them I'm sure.

-k

Thanks for your advice, synapse.

Unfortunately, we're not doing the upgrade by choice as the vendor is no longer providing support for our current version and forcing us to move to the newer version. The vendor hasn't been too forthcoming with regards to technical information and being the low man on the totem pole, I don't get the opportunity to push for the important details. Not an ideal situation, that's for sure.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back