Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving from one RAID to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

BChumie

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
US
Hello,

If I were to purchase a new computer with on-board raid would I have to completely re-do everything as far as my hard drives are setup? I am currently using an AMI RAID 100 PCI card, and I am looking to purchase a new mobo with a built on Highpoint raid controller. Would I need to reset all my partitions and format all of the data? Any information would be great.

Brad

Short answer would be: yes. If you are going to be setting up a Raid array (1,0, or 10), you will have to build that array on the new mobo, then re-partition in Windows. You can use that array that you build to put the boot partition on, you just have to hit F6 and load the drivers when you install windows.

hope that helps.

Malden,

Sorry I was unclear on my question. The AMI controller is currently a RAID controller and I have a RAID 0 setup with 2 40 GIG hard drives. I have been looking at new motherboards and a lot of them have the RAID controller built onto the motherboard. So I was wondering if I could keep the settings from my current RAID and just transfer them over to the new RAID controller (So I can get rid of one un-needed PCI card ;) ). Thanks for the help.

Brad

I've had Not so wonderful luck working with on board RAID on moboards but this is what i've found, you may or maynot be able ot keep your current raid settings, mostly it depends on the moboard and the options. I recently have been working with setting raid "mirroring" for this client of mine and I can tell you that with XP PRO it has been very volitile. I have done every configuration included in the manual & through tech support so take it from hard knox here. you may be able to "create" the RAID settings by going into the RAID controller settings (ctrl, & f10 ) key just after the bios detect of the regular IDE devices.
while in there, you have the options to create, select drives, name the array, and lots of other advanced options. but be careful you want to just create the array, select the disks, and name it. then go into your regular MOBOARD bios and change all the "boot" options to see just the raid. This should work if it does not boot then abandon the install, remove your drives put it back in your old PC and pray all the info is still on the disks.
lol kidding. just do your homework and then once your done, do it again, then once you've practiced on 2 hard drives other than the ones with your data on it and have completed it successfully. then try it with your actual hard drives.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back