Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving From Mult.Domain to Single W/OU's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digum2K

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
US
We have a large multi domain network (Win2K). We are have replication problems since all the DC's are shooting back to the root for directory information (communication problems). We all know that a single domain with multiple OU's is the way to go. How hard is it going to be to re-do our network??

Eric, CCNA, Server+, A+, Net+, APS (x2)

Sorry people, got to have some help. Give it a boot

First of all, you will need to resolve your network problems. By default, Windows 2000 domains assume that they are "well connected". You can do replication by SMTP but I don't know anybody that has tried this.

As you said, in general, a single domain is the best solution. However moving to a single domain will not make your network problem any better by itself. You will need to manage sites and replication schedules very carefully. Furthermore, you need to manage the FSMO roles carefully, particularly the PDC Emulator.

Now that I've dealt with the bleeding obvious :), I assume that these domains are in the same forest? If so, you can use the "movetree" utility. See this KB article for more information:

Q238394 How to Use the MoveTree Utility to Move Objects Between Domains in a Single Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back