Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweenerz

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to keep a frame fixed in a location regardless of how big the browser window is? What is happening is that when a user resizes the browser window, one of my frames moves up and covers another frame. Is it possible to force a frame to stay put no matter how much resizing is done?

Example:

shrink the window vertically and you'll see what I mean.

yep:

<table style="position: absolute; left: 100px; top: 50px;">

~*Gwar3k1*~
&quot;To the pressure, everything's just like: an illusion. I'll be losing you before long...&quot;

Actually, that doesn't work because it is not a problem with the content inside the frame, it is a problem with the frame itself. The frame is squeezing the top frame. What I need is to keep the top frame from shrinking. Originally I thought the bottom frame was covering the top one, but that was because I had scrolling off so it appeared to cover it.

So does anyone know how to keep a frame from changing size regardless of how much the user resizes the browser window?

okay so:

style="height: 10px; width: 10px;"

if you use pixels as your units it keeps the element that size no matter what the browser's size is

~*Gwar3k1*~
&quot;To the pressure, everything's just like: an illusion. I'll be losing you before long...&quot;

This would work if the problem was with the content (i.e. the HTML table), but its not. It can't assign a style attribute to a frame tag, unfortunately. I can assign it to a frameset, but that doesn't help in this case. If I could force the top frame to be a certain size, that would be perfect. You see, the content within the frame is not changing, so I don't need to add style attributes to the table tags. What I need to do is keep the frames from moving, or changing size.

sorry for some reason i thought a frame of a table. forgive me. if you use an iframe you can apply the style attributes. but if youre set on the normal frame, im willing to look it up for you

~*Gwar3k1*~

redflag this if you think it appropriate but i dont work with traditional frames so genuinely wouldnt know:

cant you use pixel units in the col attribute of the frame tag?

~*Gwar3k1*~

Unfortunately, I think the client wants this to work in older versions of Netscape. So this probably wont work. I have looked all over. There has got to be a way. Thanks for your help. If you do come across a solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again

I am using pixel units, but for some reason it is still shrinking the top frame. I will have to figure something else out then.

Ive just been on w3's site looking at frame info, it doesnt look like you can do what you want with the old html. i think you should post in the javascript forum (forum216).

Sorry I couldnt help =( hope you get it sorted

~*Gwar3k1*~

okay i checked up on the javascript theory and you cannot resize a frameset in the way you want.

if iframes cannot be used as an alternative, what about using a table and server side includes (SSI) or at least put a frame inside a table's cell

<table>
<tr>
<td>
<!--#include virtual="nav.html" -->
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
<frame src="main.html">
</td>
</tr>
</table>

beyond either of the table suggestions or an iframe, i cant think of an alternative im affraid.

surely if youre using the rows attribute in your frameset tag there shouldnt be overlap. again, i dont use frames. sorry

~*Gwar3k1*~

sorry another solution would be to open a new window that isnt resizable using javascript:

<a href="framespage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href, 'popupwindow', 'width=500,height=390,scrollbars=0,resizable=0'); return false;">

~*Gwar3k1*~

Thanks for the effort you put into this. I actually figured out something else that will probably be better, although it doesn't quite work in Netscape 4.x.

I am going to use a div element with overflow: scrolling turned on. That way it looks like an internal frame but the drop down will go over it in all netscape browsers. The only thing is that it doesn't scroll in older netscapes, but few are using 4.x (0.2% or something close) so i might be able to convince the client.

Thanks again for your help.

Im glad you found a good solution =) And thankyou for the star!

~*Gwar3k1*~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back