Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving forward, IPO and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie77

Programmer
Oct 15, 2004
GB
What would be the best way to take my IPO brain to the next level.

I would love to move into the ACM/Cisco market and possibly start playing with network properly rather than having other guys do that.

I have often thought about doing my CCNA as a show of knowledge (if I passed of course!!!) but don't use Cisco gear and would forget what I have learned and have nothing to practice on while I am doing it!.

What would you guys out there advise???

Ta.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Go for ACM, i also did go from IPO to ACM and did get my ACE in 1,5 year.

Now have ACS IPO and ACE ACM, and do al nice and big projects.
But you need also CCNA ;<)

Because if you have ACE they think you now al the networking stuff.

Easied way is to team up with a network guy.
Did that for to years now and now we both now a lot of ACM and Cisco gear.

Greets Peter

Team up as in start up on your own.

At present we are only a small firm and don't sell networking.

We are looking at the Cisco UC500 range as a start into Cisco but we are traditional telco and I believe I have it in my locker to go forward in that arena, the others guys............... ;-)

Jamie Green

whats the best way to start playing with acm
any software to download, tools to play with?

Isaac Braca
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.

ICCS, Your Premier IT Partner, is a NYC Based Avaya Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

Everything you change is online, so you can,program off-line. Best is to have a ACM for training like a G350 with S8300. We have one from avaya witch will be upgraded every release. I think thats a bit of a problem for a small company but if you find a good buisnispartner the can help you with it. Or if you have direct contact with avaya contact your channel-manager.

Also take the classes wich you can take on the avaya university. Because avaya want you to have certified engineers with ACA/ACS/ACE. But its not hard to learn its like every other pabx and networking is the same as a network principals for an IPO. Only there its bigger so you have more gatekeepers and going to work with networkregions.

So thirst ping get an ACM and somebody how get you started...

Greets Peter

I'd add that to make the move to ACM, you'd need to be comfortable with implementing and upgrading voice grade TCP/IP networking. The ability to understand and carry out VOIP network assessments and be able to implement the required changes to bring the network into "compliance"

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

In the next decade ACM and IP Office and Tenovis will merge into one product, that will be the ACM stuff merged with the best features of all other systems.
Converged systems like IP Office and Tenovis will stop at some time, it will all go to server based VoIP systems.
So it is very wise to start with the ACM systems today then you will be ready for the future.

Jamie,

Seems like you're getting bored with just being a "traditional telco".

"There's a whole world out there

Not strictly bored, but always looking forward. I have a decent job and get looked after but there is nothing wrong with wanting more.

Jamie Green

I agree, nothing wrong at all with wanting to better yourself. Although still a lot of potential in voice etc. but maybe more on the network/data side of things.

don't want to leave voice. It's what I know and I am good at but "the times they are a changin'" and don't want to get left behind like I can see happening to some people in the game.

Jamie Green

There's potential for a song title in there somewhere!!

Cat amongst the pigeon time?? Can voice people adapt to data better than data people adapt to voice?

No offence meant to anyone.

Sometimes you would think that data people should easely learn the telecoms but they say that telecom people should more easely learn the data :)

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

I think one of the things about the IPO is lots data people have taken it on and failed (lots have done well before I upset anyone) and made it look bad. Most of the data people I have come across that have tried voice have struggled. They think there are too many variables in what we do.

Jamie Green

I have noticed that as well. it seems some one with a telcom back ground can go into the data world easier than the data tech comming into telcom. DOnt get me wrong there are some that do it and do fine.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back