Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Exchange to a different domain and server name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am new to this. Can some one please give me a step by step instructions on how to move e-mail boxes and users from the current exchange server to a new domain and new server name.

I am changing the hardware and making the e-mail server as a member server of a domain rather than having it in it's own domain.

I appreciate any help I can get... Thanks in advance

First I would recommend you look at
This is the disaster recovery guide from Microsoft and is well worth a read as it highlights potential pitfuls.

Other than that we had to export all the mailboxes on one of our new sites recently to get them onto our domain. To do this goto to each client and export the mailbox as a pst file to a different server or some form of media. Then wipe the mailserver, rebuild it completely bringing it onto the domain. Create all the users and then from each client import the pst file.

This is fine for a small number of users, but is a pain when your talking of 10 or more.

You can export the mailbox list to a CSV file from the Exchange administrator, and then recreate the user list from it - can be a pain as you will have to edit some of the lines with the new mailservers name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back