Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Exchange Server to a new Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpatel4

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2002
US
I am trying to move our mail server from a machine with a 2GIG hard drive to a machine with 40Gig's. I have read so many article on microsoft's knowledge base, but I can't find a way to just move the mailboxes to the new machine. I can't partition the new disk the same way as the old disk because there I need to set it up with an extra drive. How do I move the mailboxes and what data do I need to move to the new server from the old server? I looked at where data is stored through the optimizer, but which data must be moved to have our mail server run and to stop users from being disrupted and to avoid users from loosing any data?

Microsoft KB article Q155216 addresses this very well. I have used this technique several times and it worked flawlessly.

What do you intend the extra drive for? Will it be an additional drive on which you intend to install Exchange?Although this article indicates that you need to configure the drives on the new computer exactly as they were on the original, you really need to be concerned only that you have at least the drives and drive space as the original. What is critical is that the data files are installed in the same drive and path on the new server as on the old. if you intend the data files to end up on the new drive, you can move them with Optimizer after creating the new server.

Microsoft has a two part article about this. I used it about five years ago. You have to follow it to the letter.

Basically it tells you to document your current configuration. Configure the new server exactly the same as your current server (Server name, Ip, ext.) then copy the databases and some logs and then you have to run, I think is secedit.

However, configuring the new server as part of the current configuration and then moving the users from one server to another and finnally detaching the old server may be easier but it depends on your current configuration.

Gladys I. Rodriguez - MCSE, CCDA, MCP+I
GlobalStrata Solutions Inc.

If the rest of the spec of the server is ok, just add the new drives to the existing server and use perfwiz.

Otherwise, use this:

On existing server:
Note the partition that windows is installed onto. Note name of windows folder. Note service pack.
Note volume and folder exchsrvr is installed into.
Note Exchange 5.5 SP.
Backup server.
Run perfwiz and note all drives and folders.
Copy these folders to another server.
Shotdown and remove from domain.

On new server:
Install Windows in same partition and folder using same name and IP address. Service pack to same level.
Install Exchsrvr to same volume and partition. Use same org, site and server name.
Stop all services.
Rename the same folders as noted on old server for reference.
Copy all folders from old server to new server onto correct partitions.
Start Sys Attendant.
Start directory service.
Run isinteg-patch.
Start remaining services except IMS.
Create new IMS.

This works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back