Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Exchange Server to a new computer? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarron

MIS
Apr 3, 2000
US
I need to move my Exchange 5.5 server onto a new computer.  Of course I want to bring over all mailboxes, mail and security to the new server.  I've heard in order to do this that I can install Exchange 5.5 on the new file server and then copy over a few files.  Can you tell me what these few files are named? Is there a better method of migrating data from one Exchange server to another?

Two ways.<br><br>One is to backup the server and restore to the new server, other is to install NT and Back Office on the new server. Add the new mail server into the existing site then you can drag and drop the mailboxes.<br><br>If you want to bring over user accounts too, install the new NT server as a BDC into the domain to replicate the users then promote it to PDC prior to taking the old one out.<br><br>As you can see, I don't favour migration by backup...

Is it also possible when there are 10 or less users, to export their mail to .pst files and then back them up onto the new re-built server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back