Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim123

Programmer
Sep 14, 2001
TR
Hi all,

I need to move exchange 5.5 running on Windows Nt Server to,Windows 2000 server. Mail server will be exchange 5.5. I have installed 2000 server, at this point i think i need some help to decide for the action taken.

I wonder what my options are, i will be grateful for any help :)

Thanks

You could install 2000 and get it on your network, install a second server in the same site and use the migrate wizard.

Or you can install 2000 as a domain controller in the domain. Take it off the LAN, rename it the same name as the NT4 mail server, install Exchange and create a new site with the same name as existing. Then do a full restore from tape on the new server.

I have done both - broad as its long really. Down to personal preference.

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately the Windows 2000 server is installed now.
Can i just rename the machine to the same name with the NT Server without this causing any problem ( after disconnecting from the network ) or do i need to re-install the server.

You can just make an upgrade of NT to W2000 ...
;-)

In theory you can just rename the server as long as you don't have Exchange on there with a site defined.

Hmm, i think re-installing will be better, btw is there any easy way of moving the accounts ( for exchange and for domain accounts ) from NT to 2000. Or do i need to do that by hand, i hope there is an automated or easy way for this :)

If you install 2000 as a domain controller it will pick up the user accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back