Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Exchange 5.5 to NEW Server With NEW Name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshie

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
AU
Hi all,
I have been threw the faq and the keyword searches and found lots of good stuff on moving to a new server with the same name, but nothing on moving to a new server with a different name.
We have a server which runs everything for us, web, exchange, dns, dbase the works. It has 40 to 50 users at any one time, hence my pushing to get them to spend $$ on a new server for exchange only.
I finally got one and have Win2k advanced server installed.

The existing server (server1)and all mailbox's exist still, all I want to do is install exchange 5.5 on the new server (server2), and have everyone get their email from there.

I have tape backup of all the exchange as a precaution.

How would I go about moving all the mailbox's accross(from server1 to server2)?
Once accross, how will I make sure all mail is delivered there (server2), rather than the old server (server1)?
Once all is tested and working is it just a case of removing exchange from the old server (server1)?

The process is really very easy.
Set up your new Win2k server and apply all services packs and fixes. Install Exchange 5.5. It will prompt you to specify if this is the only exchange server in the domain or join an existing one. Choose to join an existing site and when prompted specify the name of the existing site. It will pick up all settings from your existing server and establish site connectors to that server(assuming they are both in the same subnet). Run the performance optimizer and configure it to the best configuration your hardware will allow (transactional logs on seperate drive). Once it is all configured you are now ready to move the mailboxes over to your new server. First enable circular logging on both servers (it will generate a log file for every box moved, so you want them overwritten at this time). See Q218920 in Technet to prevent logons during mailbox move. After following the articles instructions. Select the mailboxes you wish to move, then on the toolbar select Tools> move mailbox. It will prompt you to choose a server. Pick your new server and away you go. Once all mailboxes are moved, you will need to move over the OAB, site connectors etc. See Technet Q152959 How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site. That's prety much it.

Fantastic bewleybros, thats what I needed.
You are a legend :)
Will post again if I need anything else

Thanks for your response.

Yosh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back