Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Exchange 2003 to a new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingerthedog

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2006
US
So I am sure that there are some posts on here regarding this question, but I couldn't find any that answer my question. I have an Exchange 2003 server setup on older hardware and I want to move everything over to a newer server with a better RAID setup. Can anyone guide me in the right direction as far as a "How To" or a tutorial. I know that I need to get Server 2003 and Exchange 2003 up a running on the new box and then move the mailboxes over, but I don't know how the Outlook clients are going to know where to find the new Exchange server epically since I will have to give it a different name to get it on the domain. Any thoughts or links would really help me out. Thanks

If clients are Outlook 2003 and you don't remove the original server for a while after you move the mailbox they will be repointed automatically.

Neill

Yup; as Neil said, you have to leave that old server turned on. Depending on how many clients you have it could take a while for the outlook clients to switch. If you have everyone reboot overnight or something then you can pretty much shut off that server in the morning after everyone logs on and opens outlook.

One note though, read this post before you remove the first Exchange server from the organization. There is quite a list of things to do before you remove that first server.
Good luck!

Thanks for the help so far. The Outlook clients are all 2003 so it sounds like that should help. One more piece I forgot to mention is that our current Exchange box is setup as a Domain Controller. Are the special requirements I need to consider when taking down a DC? I have two other server that are also setup as DC so AD is already installed on those machines. Thanks.

I found an "Ed Crowley" method on how to move Exchange servers. It seems pretty decent, here is the link.

How to remove the first Exchange Server 2003 computer from the administrative group

Once that's done, you can worry about demoting the DC. This includes removing the GC role.

You need to remove Exchange first.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back