Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving email server + new to DNS config/mgmt

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdentff

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
CA
Hello,

I'm been given the task of moving our email server from one provider to another. Unfortunately, I've been given next to no time to get it all done, so I don't have time to learn the intricacies of DNS on my own.

The new provider does not have DNS for us, so I'm planning on using Zoneedit. Anybody have any issues with these guys?

My problem is that I've never done DNS before, and Zoneedit does not give me much of a clue. Very Spartan interface, and documentation.

All I will have running on this IP is a mail server, no web, or other services, so the DNS layout should be fairly basic.

Hardware/network layout, I have a Domino mail server, that will connect to a Cisco PIX firewall, the firewall will have the public IP that I need to map my DNS MX record to.

I've gathered the existing DNS config from our current provider, and I will post that below. (Info changes to hide the guilty newbie!)

I'm in Canada, so I think when we move our Domain over to the new provider I have to inform CIRA, our registrar.

GIVEN TO ME BY MY CURRENY PROVIDOR WHEN I ASKED FOR OUR DNS ENTRY

;$Header: /var/named/chroot/var/dns/master/RCS/db.mydomain.on.ca,v 1.7 2004/12/07 16:25:21 xmir Exp $
; The default TTL for all RRs in the zone unless specified in the RR.
$TTL 900
@ IN SOA dns1.my.currentprovidor.net. root.my.currentprovidor.net. (
2004120701 ; Serial
86400 ; Refresh (24hrs)
1800 ; Retry (30mins)
604800 ; Expire (7days)
600 ; Minimum (10mins)
)
IN NS dns1.my.currentprovidor.net.
IN NS dns2.my.currentprovidor.net.

; this stops netfind from probing machines in this zone for user information
IN TXT wp-noop://
;;$INCLUDE mx.mail-no-secondary
@ IN MX 0 mail
@ IN A 123.124.125.126
mail IN A 123.124.125.127

Any additional help would be great, since I don't know what to do, or what the above config is doing.

Thanks in advance,

/.Chris

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.~B.Russell~
/.Chris

So you have a Default Time to Live of 15 minutes which is pretty short if you don't change records much.

I am not familiar with the TXT record.

@ stands for the current domain, mydomain.on.ca.

MX records define mail routing, since you have no backup mail server, you only have 1 record and that states mail to
@mydomain.on.ca will try and use port 25 to mail.mydomain.on.ca.

The A record just says to resolve the name mydomain.on.ca to the IP 123.124.125.126. Often you map this to your web server IP so that the URL go to but you don't have a shown.

gene

Hello,

THX for the reply.

Everything here has been set by the provider, they likely have the TTL set low because they are huge, and like to propogate changes pretty fast.

Correct we only have a single mail server.

I have no idea what the A record is referring to. We don't have a web server.

Thanks,

/.Chris

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.~B.Russell~
/.Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back