Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Domino mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasnorway

MIS
Jul 13, 1999
NO
I will soon be in the process of (hopefully) moving my Domino mail server to a new W2k server. Cannot find steps to get me there. Was thinking it would be a matter of installing the sofware on the new server, modifying the .ini file and copying my databases and mail files over.
Is this to simple of a plan? Is there more that needs to be considered? If there are specific steps written and I can be pointed in the right direction would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance...

Allen

I'm not sure of any written steps but...

I setup my new W2K server and named it servera.
Generate and ID file for the server.
Install domino,
setup domino.
Take the server and the old servr and isolate them from the network.
copy the INI from the old to the new.
Copy the data directory from the old to the new.
change the new servers name and IP address to the old servers name and IP.
Keep the old server off the network!!
Boot up and cross your fingers.

This may be a bit simplistic but its not s hard to do as it seems. Just be sure to back everything up and make sure you have a good image copy of the server being replaced.

I'm not sure of any written steps but...

I setup my new W2K server and named it servera.
Generate and ID file for the server.
Install domino,
setup domino.
Take the server and the old servr and isolate them from the network.
copy the INI from the old to the new.
Copy the data directory from the old to the new.
change the new servers name and IP address to the old servers name and IP.
Keep the old server off the network!!
Boot up and cross your fingers.

Hi ,

Is it necessary that the path of the instalation on the new machine be similar to the old one?

How do I generate an ID file for the server.

Thanks
ssosw

I wouldn't create a new server-ID for the W2K-machine - just set up the new server using a copy of your current server-ID. Otherwise you will run into problems when you transfer the users to the new server (the encryption keys will not match).

I have found this method to work for me in the past, and it's real easy.

- Install and configure your new 2K box
- Install the same version of Domino on your new box and keep the install paths the same
- Rename the notes.ini in the Domino program directory to notes.old.
- type quit at the server console on your existing server and make sure your backup agent is not running
- Copy the notes.ini file from your old box to the new
- Rename the new Domino Data folder to Data_OLD
- Copy the entire data folder from your old box to your new
- Start Notes on the new box

Note: Robocopy with the correct switches works well for the data transfer. I also spit the output to a file so that I can check for completness before launching the new Notes server.

Rgds,

John Judge

Or u could look into setting the two servers up in a cluster together, use same notes version.
Running both for a while and then when u have checked everything works, remove the old server from the cluster config.
Notes cluster is platform independant, so u could have a w2k and linux box running the cluster.
The database transfers would then be done through the notes cluster link. and the downtime would be minimal.

I use the same method as Packet7
but be sure if you change the ip address, you have
to change the IP address entries in the notes.ini.
of course you have to change the ip address in the
server document in your server address book.

To do it save, I suggest after you finish copying
the Data direcory through network. shutdown the
old NT server and reconfig the IP address of your
w2k server to the IP address that you used on the NT.
Remember don't turn on the NT again.

hope this helps

laiben

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I havent done anything yet.My mail server is a local serrver that connecte to another domino server to get the mail. Will there be any problems with this connection after I shift. Thanks

ssosw,

if you use the old IP address and the orginal
installation path, there shouldn't be
any problem. I've done the same thing. It works.

hope this helps

laiben

Even changing the installation path is an easy thing to handle. You just have to edit the Notes.ini file and change any references to the old path before you start the Domino server. Under most circumstances you will only have to change 2 or 3 instances.

Depending on how familiar you are with your setup, make sure you understand where everything is before you start. All of our installations have the Domino program files sitting in C:\Notes and all of the data sitting in D:\Notes\Data. This is very different from the default installation.

As allways, make a copy of the file before you edit it for easy backout and recovery purposes.

Good luck.

I would like to thank all of you for helping me out with this.The server was moved to another machine sussessfully and there dosen't seem to be any major problems.Even if something comes up I know where to come !!!

HI ,

I need some more help. I used to have an Administration Tool on the server before. I have moved the server now and I need to Install it on the new server.But for the time being I thought I could use the global address book on my client to make any changes bcos thats how I used it before. But now I noticed that I made a change and it shows on the global address book but the change has not taken place.Is it because there is no administrative tool on the present server

I found the program on the notes client CD .Is this the right one. After I installed it I was asked for a server name ( so I gave the local server name,should it have been the Main mail server bcos I used to connect to that server too) and then for the ID file(I think I have to get the ID file from the central administrator) . Ok after that do I just have to put is the password for the particular ID and then start using the Administration window or is there some other configurations to be done.

Thanks
ssosw

ssosw

do you mean that your change of the address do not replicate
to other server? If that is the case I think that is not
related to the administration client (administration tool?)

In the person document of the address -> administration
tab, there is a an entry "foriegn directory sync allow"
make sure it is enabled.

or you could open adminp.nsf to check the queued changes.

hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I checked and there seems to be no problem now.It was just that the person did not recieve any mails even after I deleted the forwarding address. But I still need to know about how to install the Domino Server Administrator and configure it to access my local and main server.

Thanks
ssosw

i don't install my admin client in the server
I install it together with my notes client in my workstation.

pretty straight forward. just use administrator id
to login the notes client , and on the left hand side
there is a administration client icon, just click it
and it will launch the admin client.

hope this helps.

I have a Lotus Domino Installed on Old Windows NT server and Were planning to migrate it into new Windows 2000 Server. How would I migrate the Lotus Domino, IP address and Server name will be change?

Please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back