Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDIDIT

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
GB
A new tenant arrived our involvement should have been to provide the switch and cabling and advise of the IP range they needed to use.

They arrived with a server not yet configured and their client machines set up to log to their old domain.

Created the new domain and active directory on the new server, but when I tried to change the client domain logon to the new one, from the network identification menu it asked for a known user on the new domain, I entered the administrator and password but all of their pc's came up with the same problem path to domain unknown.

I did exactly the same with my own laptop running XP Pro and it worked first time and I was able to log onto the network.

There seems to some legacy from their previous Domain set up that I can't find - any ideas would be appreciated.

Try checking the tcp/ip properties and have the computers point to your pdc as the primary DNS server.....

I have tried using it using the local admin password but to the same effect. I have also created a user with full permissions that can log on locally too but the result is the same.

The PDC is set as the primary DNS but this doesn't help.

I don't know if Windows XP Pro handles things differently or whether there is something configured of the original PC's. My laptop which had never been near their old network before connected first time. They all run Windows 2000 and all have the same issue.

Thanks for the replies

Ok wait...are u trying to join your domain first? trying making it part of a workgroup...with the local admin user name..then join your domain..thats if you are having trouble unjoining your previous domain..if you can't join your domain then change your dns setting to "Allow dynamic update"

Thanks, PAUL

The way I tried first was simply to replace the old domain with the new one. It asked me for a recognised user then came up with the path error to the new domain. Then I tried changing them to a workgroup to release them from the old domain. I could get them to see the server by searching for the server IP or machine name from view entire network. Once found I could also map to shared drives and they would also reconnect at the next log on. But when I tried to convert the workgroup to the new domain the same old error came back.

I did exactly the same from my own laptop which had only ever been used in a workgroup before and runs XP Pro. This had no trouble connecting to the domain first time and also went back to the workgroup when I changed the settings.

I haven't tried changing the dns setting to "Allow dynamic update" but given my laptop worked OK at the first attempt I am curious! why will changing the server help? will it not be something set of the original pc's.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion Paul, I will give it a go.

Thats what it is more than likely..make sure...MAKE SURE! your dns is pointing to your domain controller. and check allow dynamic update.

Thanks, PAUL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back