Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving documents between libraries 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTina

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
CA
Does anyone know if it's possible to move documents from one document library to another?

I started saving documents in the Shared Documents Library, now I've created a new document library and would like to move some documents and folders from Shared Documents to my new document library.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Change to an "explorer view" in the document library, and then you can do cut and paste with your documents.
Z.

Thanks Zencalc - I never thought of doing that.

PTina, did you notice if the versioning of the documents also moved with the file.

I tried to move some files and when I moved them, they did not keep the original creation and modification dates. Anyone know how I can move documents between libraries AND keep the versioning?

Thanks!

Hello,

You can't do that. Sharepoint will take the date when the file was moved or changed. You could create your own date columns and with custom code keep the original date. But out of the box you SharePoint (SPS 2003) does not support that.

Cheers,
Thomas

Thanks Thomas.

I'm disappointed to hear that. I'm not a developer so programming anything will take me longer than it's worth. I know sharepoint isn't a document management system but when it's advertised for collaboration and versioning, it seems like a major design flaw not to be able to move a file between libraries and still keep the original file information. Sorry for the rant ;-)

Would it be possible to maybe hide the library on the root of my site and put a link to it on a subsite??? I'm pretty new to sharepoint so if that is a newb question, I'm sorry.

Thanks again for your response Thomas.
PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back