Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Department to another floor in the same building

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxmont16

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2010
US
Hello,

I am moving a department within my firm to a different floor in the same building. This will include approximately 12 users\computers\phones.

I am assuming the best way to this is run fiber lines from my main floor down to the new floor and introduce IP phones into the environment on the new floor. I know that I will also need to run the copper lines for the fax machines and the reception DSS system because I found out through my phone vendor that our current phone system can not handle an IP based DSS unit for the receptionist.

Is this the best solution? Am I missing anything?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback.

I spoke with my building management and they told me that the contractor would in fact have to run over 300ft of cable because of the placement of the closets.

Since, I know now that I am going with fiber. My contractor priced me for media converters. So, if I am understanding this correctly, I would have a media converter on the 33rd floor with one end connected to the fiber and the other end connected to my main network. On the 25th floor, I will have a media converter connected to one end of the fiber while the other end is connected via Ethernet to a switch which will support that floor.

Besides media converters, what "fiber-ready" type switches should I look into?

Haha. Thanks.

I did my searches. But you guys are the experts and

Thanks for your feedback. I just received the quote from my wiring vendor and I am going through it now. It looks good, but maybe a little overkill because of the Cat6 runs for voice and data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back