Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving data from symmetrix to clariion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2007
US
Hi

We are having data ( 2 VGs) on symm and would like to move that over to the clariion which will be connected through the 2nd hba. So at some point both symm and clariion will be be seen and after the data is moved the symm will be disconnected. Any ideas on how to move the two VGs ?

OS AIX 5.2 - 05

Appreciate the answers.

Thanks

mirrorvg then unmirrorvg is probably your best bet from an AIX point of view if Oracle cannot advise you of a migration proceedure.

Or you may wish to use mklvcopy / rmlvcopy.

You can also use migratepv.

In a previous client they were moving from Hitachis to Symmetrix, and the EMC guys gave them some scripts that used migratepv.

This way you can avoid max PPs and max LVs limits, by adding a new disk to a VG, migrating one or more disks, then removing old disks from VG, and so on.

Code:
Moves allocated physical partitions from one physical volume to one or more other physical volumes.

migratepv [  -i ] [  -l LogicalVolume ] SourcePhysicalVolume DestinationPhysicalVolume...

I think alt_disk_install and alt_disk_copy are only valid for rootvg.

Thanks guys..this project is due next week..i will let u guys knw the results when done so that it can be of benifit for others

Yeah, assuming both LUNs are the same, and you aren't maxed on any VG parameters, just add the new LUN to the same vg, mirror all your LVs to it, remove the old copies and LUN and you're golden. mirrorvg and migratepv are basically frontends to the same process.

You don't even have to take your app offline since LVM-based mirroring is nondisruptive.

Ensure that CLARiiON drivers are installed to recognize the disks. I used to do the following

Extenvg with the new disks added
Create a copy of logical volumes on the newly added disks using mklvcopy
Sync the logical volumes with low priority using nice command
Once they sync is finished remove the copies on old disk using rmlvcopy command
Remove the old disks from the VG using reducevg command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back