Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Avaya VMPro

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyclear

Technical User
Mar 30, 2015
US
We have to voicemail machines that are running on XP that need to get upgraded badly. What all is involved in moving one from XP to Windows 7? Would be wise to virtualize it or run it on a dedicated workstation?

It all depends on what you want.
VMPro can run fine on a virtual environment but you must run a supported version!

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

From my point of view, virtualization is the best choice.
Which version of VMPro are you running ? Depending of the version you may just have to backup config, make a fresh install and import backup ...
Do you really need to run VMPRO on Windows machine ? You know have an OVA that runs VMPRO, 1XP, ... on a linux (so no OS license cost).

Personal I prefer to keep VM Pro on a separate server for a number of reasons

1) - no interference between VM Pro traffic & the customers normal server traffic (not usually a problem but could have an affect on heavily loaded servers).

2) reduced risk of software updates affecting the VM (again unlikely in a Virtual environment but just because you are paranoid dosn't mean tat nobody is out to get you)

3) no danger of engineers occidentally killing the customers data server

I do however agree with PKDev that the linux application server is the way to go wherever possible. Stand alone or Virtual
is up to you

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Was just curious in case the question came up. One of them is already a VM the other one is on a desktop. The one on the desktop is for a small group of people maybe 60 or so? The other is for the entire company. Both are the same versions from what I can see , 8.1.9203.0 It doesn't have to be windows but if I can convince management to run it on linux I'd jump on that. Is it just as simple as installing the software and exporting/importing that would make it easy. If this is documented somewhere that would help me as well.

moving the existing call flow is posible , just needs a bit of work

export the call flow then import when connected to the Linux server.

then copy the greetings wav files to /opt/vmpro/Greetings

an FTP or sftp client should make this relatively simple.

if not a memory stick & access to the linux command line will be req.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Looking over stuff should be able to copy the Accounts, Greetings, Names and WAVS folders in the C:\Program Files\Avaya\IP Office\Voicemail Pro\VM. You also need to Export the call flows (under file) which I am guessing can be done from launching VMpro client>File>export. And since the old system will be going down we can assign the new system the same IP scheme and should be as if nothing happened to the end user. Am I on the right track?

You are on the right track.

I always make a backup form the VMPro client.
On top of that i copy the VMData.mdb and then the whole folder called VM.
Just in case the normal backup doesn't
In that case i stop the VMPro service and copy in the VMData.mdb and the folder VM, start the service and it should be working again.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back