Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving around without Notes ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBelanger

MIS
Jul 5, 2001
CA
Here goes....

I'm in an office of approx. 150 users. We currently use 2 notes servers running v 4.6. I'm in the process of switching to one server running v 5.

Our office is one where people often have to switch desks. For this reason, we've had everyones ID files on all computers in the office with a basic password. The problem that this has created is that all you have to do is copy someones ID file from the ID directory and you have access to their info using the original basic password.

To get rid of this problem, I thought of not creating ID's and having them stored on the server.

Is there any way of signing in to a station and switching ID's without having me creating an actual ID file?

If not, is there any way of creating an ID file from the 150+ people I've certified without having to delete and re-creating them?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Here's my solution to your problem...instead of distributing the ID files to all the computers, create a shared directory on the Domino server or a PC that all workstations have access to and place the ID files there. When someone starts up Notes, if they were the last to use it, it will ask for their password. If someone else used Notes last, the person can cancel out of that user and open their ID file from the shared directory.

Hope this helps. "One fish, two fish,
Red fish, blue fish."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back