Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving ArcServer 11.5 to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafal1

Technical User
Mar 9, 2010
DE
Hi All,

First of all - I am not an backup/ArcServer expert :(

I have a ArcServe r11.5 SP4 Software with a FibreCat24 Tape library on Windows 2003 SP2 Server.
I need to move this installation to new server with Windows 2003 R2.

I have the installation CD with ArcServe r11.5 SP4 Software, library drivers and license keys.

Can anyone write me/send some documentation/send links to tutorials how to move the installation?

I planned it in the following steps:
1. Install library tape on new server
2. migrate VLDB database on old server to SQL Server.
3. Install ArcServe Sofware on the new server + library configuration
4. On the new ArcServe server define SQL Database
5. Check the backup

I found this link about converting database to SQL:
but I can not find anything about ArcServe installation :(

I have following licenses:
1 x ArcServe Backup for Windows
1 x ArcServe Agent for Opene Files on Windows
3 x ArcServe Client Agent for Windows.

Thank you very much for your help!
Please - assume that I am backup/arcserve idiot so any - event obvious information - would be very important for me.

Regards
Rafal

ARCserve Installation is detailed in the Admin Guide found in the docs directory on the disc.

Install on the new system
close manager stop all ARCserve services
copy over database directory from old system
copy over old queue 00000001.qsd and logs directory if you want.
then you can run the conversion to SQL.
However best to delete any data out of the database no longer needed and then run the utils to make sure the database is corruption free before the conversion.

Dear davidmichel
Thanks for your help.
Could you please write me if I can find somewhere this Admin Guide in the Internet?
I have some problems to locate the database, queue and log files.
Thanks a lot!

ARCserve base folder
\Database <-- database
\00000001.qsd <-- queue
\LOG <-- logs

Ok... I did migrate it but following problems appeared:
1. my caroot password does not work (on the old server is working fine)
2. do I need to change anything in client agent?
3. the new server name is not the same as the old one – can this cause any problems?
Thanks a lot for your help and reply! I wont be able to migrate it without you ?

Hi davidmichel,
Thanks for the link :) I already found it and solved the problem with the password. Now it is working fine except the job. Each time I try to modify it, error message appears that the password is not correct.

How can I recreate job?
Do I need to set new job, define which servers and what kind of data shall be backed up, define the tape pools, tape library and the whole backup policy?
Could you please help me with this?

not sure, you can try saving the job to disk on the original install if still around. or try it from the new install, perhaps if the script is opened it will automatically correct the problem. Otherwise yes just recreate it, but here to there might be a tech doc on CA's site.

You are a genius!
I did it all on a Virtual Machine to see if this migration will work and as far everything is working fine.
Your solution to save the job and to open it on new server is also working perfect.
I will try to do the migration next week and let you know if it finished successfully.
Thank you very much for your help!

BR
Rafal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back