Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Arcserve database from 6.5 to 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naes

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2001
US
Can I move an arcserve database created in 6.5 to arcserve 2000? How?

Thanks for the help, Sean

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but in addition to the previous post the two databases are dissimilar. Arcserve 6.5 contains the database that was introduced prior to arcserve's 2000 VLDB database.

Hi Sean,
First make a copy of your database (just in case)and put it in your temp folder. During the upgrade process from 6.5 to 2000 there is a screen with several check boxes. One of these is labeled 'VLDB support'. You must check that box in order for ARCserve to convert the db from RAIMA to VLDB. If you don't you won't be able to use your db in 2000. What os are you using?

Hope this helps

Ashley

Thanks Ashley for responding. I currently have Win2k server and Arcserve 2k on a new server. Arc 6.5 was on another server. Was there an option on Arc 2k that I might have overlooked when the install took place? Is it possible to copy the database from 6.5 into 2k?

You can't copy the db from 6.5 to 2000. ARCserve 2000 wants the new VLDB to work properly. It sounds like you did miss that screen that gives you the option to convert the db - which is easy because it doesn't say 'convert', it says 'blah blah blah VLDB support' it is one of the last options on the screen, most of which you probably don't need - misleading to the person who doesn't do ARCserve 24/7. It is at the end of the upgrade process and it takes a while to complete depending on your db size. Try this: upgrade the server running 6.5 to ARCserve2000 -inorder to force the db conversion. You don't have to run Win 2k to be able to upgrade your ARCserve. Make sure that the service packs for ARCserve 2000 are up to date and the same(on both the old and new) before you make the swap. Then you can copy the entire db folder through the network to your new 2000 server. Stop all of your engines before you swap them. You will probably still need to configure your devices afterwards. Also uninstall the app on the older server after you know its worked - you know how AS broadcasts and checks for duplicate installs - it will kill your job engine after 30 days or so if you don't.

details ...

This is similar to what I did going from 6.61 to 2000 - your process may be a tad different. A little rain dance to honor the ARCserve gods doesn't hurt either.

Good luck

Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back