Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving ArcServe 2000 DB to a New Server with ArcServe V9

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkiser

MIS
Jun 10, 2003
US
We are currently running ArcServe 2000 and want to do the upgrade to V9. The only thing is that we want to put V9 on a new server. Is there a way to perserve the database from 2000 and move it from the original 2000 server to the new V9 server and have V9 recongize it and pull from it? Thanks for any help

Depends on how daring you are :)
First off I assume you use RAIMA and not SQL.
You need to BACKUP your current AS2000 DB for good measure
Update the local AS2000 to AS9 -> this is needed because AS9 will change the DB structure during upgrade.
Shutdown all AS9 services
Install the new server and shutdown all AS9 services on the new server.
Rename the new server's DATABASE server to DATABASEnew
Then copy the old DB folder to the new server.
Restart all services on the new server.
Done - hopefully
Cheers
TP

Would it work the the same if I put 2000 on the new server and moved the database, then upgraded? My boss doesn't want to upgrade the old server to 2000 to V9 until we know it works cause of the strict requirements on what we have to backup and how long we have to keep it.

Sounds like a good idea - I dont see why not. Mind you, I have not tried it either way, so you are breaking new ground in both scenarios. GOOD LUCK
Cheers
TP

I installed the AS9 on a new server and stopped services. I renamed the database dir on the new box. Then I copied database folder and the Q folder over to new box. When I started ArcServe 9, I did get an error about incompatible databases, but it let me save stuff. I ran into some issues, but seemed to be more of handling authentication to resources.

However, after reading this post, I would probably do the upgrade from AS2000, if I didn't know.

Steve

Pasting it to a 2000 version worked fine. Just had to restart and everything was there - definitely the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back