Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Application to different computer errors occurs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keepontrying

Programmer
May 12, 2003
US
The application.exe work fines without any problem on the computer which it was develop with. I move this exe to another machine along with the runtime files (vfp8r.dll and vfp8renu.dll)foxuser.dbf and fpt (located inside the folder where the application was written. 98% of the application is working fine. When I try to print a report I get a error 202 (Invalid path or file name) the line of code with the error is: IIF(tickets.opened=1,"X","")
Based on this error I assume that the report has been found but the error occurred in this field expression on the report itself.

Why does it work on the developing machine and not other?

Thanks in advanced
John

This particular line:

IIF(tickets.opened=1,"X","")

looks fine to me.

It may be a situation where the error message is misleading, and has nothing to do with this statement. If you're getting an "invalid path or directory" error, it almost tells me there is something in the report that is pointing to the local drive of the original computer, or a drive mapping that is available on that pc.

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Within the report I am only using one table the tickets.dbf and from this tickets.dbf Here is the line of code which I call the report.

Your comments "it almost tells me there is something in the report that is pointing to the local drive of the original computer"

Here is the code I used to call the report

cdatapath = SYS(5)+"\ars\"
SET PATH TO cdatapath

REPORT FORM backflowreport.frx NOCONSOLE PREVIEW FOR TICKETS.ticketid == pvinvreportno

Since this is a exe file contains the reports (I assume) or should I copy the reports over?

Thank for the help
John

I forget to let you know:

The application is develop on the D drive and I have move it over to the new computer c drive. Inside my report under dataenviroment under the cursor1 the cursorsource reads d:\ars\tickets.dbf and is unhighlighted is this the problem?

John

I suspect that is the problem. I think the problem you are running into is that the data environment, which is created in the developer directory structure, points to D and you are installing it on C. The data environment, as I recall, is read only. Therefore, it pimps you.

If this is true, I suspect there is a work-around but I unable to think of it at this moment -- others may be able to assist more.

Jim Osieczonek

Any suggestion for the future so I will not run into this problem again?

Jimoo,
I copy my project over to my laptop and to my surprise the exe file work fine. I started deleting files in the hope that the problem will occur. Finally after deleting the images folder bingo the problem occur. You were right when you say we cannot trust foxpro error reporting. The problem is that on each form was a signature.jpg When I didn't copy it over to the new computer foxpro reported many different error code. So I just wanted to let you know what the problem was.

Thank
John

John,

Thanks for letting us know. Overall, the error messages in VFP are very good, and for those of us old enough to remember the old IBM Mainframe errors:

An IEFBR14 error occured when an open macro i/o error occured or something like that.

Foxpro is great compared to that. However, every once in a while the debugger or error displays the incorrect line. In your situation, I was confident the code you posted was correct so I suspected the error was misleading.

Jim Osieczonek

Hi !
Let me share my experience with 'pc-depended' errors.
It once happend to me that my app worked fine.
At the client it failed dus to the fact that it was installed in the map "program files".
On my develop-machine there was no map with the embedded space like in 'program files'.
Just a 'to know' issue.
-bart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back