Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving and importing register servers from pc to pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

isonlyme

Programmer
Apr 20, 2002
PR
Hi all,

I have 100 server group by location:

State1
servername1
servername2

State2
servername1

I need to move all those groups and server registration to another pc. I exported the list but how do I imported on the other pc?

I found 1 solution involving exporting the REGISTERED SERVER X from the registry but when i imported, Enterprise Manager only shows the groups not the server below:

State1
no tiems
State2
no items

Even thou the registry key show all the grops and their corresponding server names.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced

Right click on the server Group then select import, navigate down to the export file then click ok. Make sure you have all password and users name exported from the original server group.

sorry but i dont see the import option in SQL 2000 enterprise manager, after following your suggestion...

That solution only works in SQL 2005. Exporting and Importing the SQL 2000 registered server list almost never works well.

You can install the SQL 2005 tools on the old machine, and have it import the list of servers from the SQL 2000 tools. Then export from the SQL 2005 tools and import to the SQL 2005 tools on the new PC. You will have to use the SLQ 2005 tools from then on, on the new machine.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

ok thank you very much for the help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back