Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a secured database to another directory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

isabal

Technical User
Jun 14, 2004
ES
Hi!

I've created a Access2000 database and added user's level security. I enter the database by clicking on a file called database_name.mdb that looks like a desktop shortcut. Everything wnet fine until I tried to move the database files to another directory -- the shortcut doesn't work anymore! An error message says it can't find the database file.

It seems to me that the shortcut is looking for a specific file with a full pathname, and I cannot change this path after I secured the database. I imagine I can un-secure the database, move it and then secure it again, but I was hoping that someone could tell how to do it in some other way. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Can you go to the new location (in Explorer) and double click database.mdb? If so just delete the old shortcut and create a replacement.

When I do that I get the following error message: "You do not have the permission to open the file <mynewpath>/<myfilename.mdb>". This is the same error message I get when I click on the mdb file without using the shortcut in the original location.

That's why I think the shortcut is more than a shortcut, and has a strict path dependency from the moment it was created.

I couldn't find any reference to this "shortcut" in the Help. Does anyone know more about it! Thanks a lot!!

You need to either join the correct workgroup, or make your shortcut point to the correct workgroup.

Here's an example of a shortcut to direct you to the correct workgroup file:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\yourdatabase.mdb" /WRKGRP "n:\new database\PRODUCTION.MDW"

Substitute your file names and locations, and put this in the properties of your shortcut.

Now it works! You need to use the /WRKGRP command line option to load the correct workgroup file in the new path!

Thanks for the help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back