Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a row in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kestrel1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
The title sounds simple enough, but it is a bit more than it sounds.
What I would like to be able to do is move a row from one worksheet to another if one cell in the row to move meets certain conditions.
For example if cell G8 = CHAR(252) move row 8 to sheet 2
Does that make sense & is it possible.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Do you actually need to MOVE the row: REMOVE the contents from one sheet and INSERT in another?

Or do you merely want to lookup the values in column G, and return the data from the row(s) that match that criteria?

The former takes programming. The latter takes a few seconds, using built-in functionality.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Yes What I would like to do is remove the row & insert it in another sheet, but only when that row has a certain character in one cell.
Not keen on programming this in VB, so if there was a way to do it with a straight function it would be good, but it doesn't sound like it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Functions do not remove data. You will need code. Forum707.

What is the functional requirement for actually removing the data?

You could flag the rows to remove, using the MATCH function, auto filter and delete all at once.

How often does this need to happen?

Skip,
[sub]

It would only need to happen when that particular row has been finnished & a tick ends up in the last cell of the row. The time could vary from a few days to a few weeks.
If it is going to be too complicated I don't think it will be worth it. The row is marked as finished, but I just thought it would be a nice touch to move each completed row to another sheet, but keep the data.

If your data is tabular, you could use the PivotTable Wizard with the Finished heading in the PAGE field, showing ONLY the finished rows.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back