Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a PST to the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microhard

MIS
Apr 2, 2001
US
Ok this must be a common problem...with a very hard to find resolution. I have a user who has downloaded his mail off the Exchange server (5.5) and now has all his mail residing on the laptop. So, I would like to Export the mail back to the server and off of his laptop. However, when I look at the options it wants to Export off the server to a PST file. I already have his 150 meg PST file...I need to move it back to the server.

How can this be accomplished....or is it even possible.

Thanks!

The only way I know is to have the user create a bunch of rules on his Exchange mailbox for sorting mail, with appropriate subfolders, and then drag massive chunks of mail off of the PST and into the inbox, where the sorting engine goes to work on it and makes it less of a mess. I've never heard of a way to get the mail back on the server other than this way, and I run into the problem 4 or 5 times a year.

ShackDaddy

There is a download from Microsoft called Exmerge.exe this will seemlessly move that mailbox back into the Private Info Store. MS Aticle: Q174197

Ok guys this was allot easier than I expected....all I had to do was this.

1. I took the client and also installed Exchange Server services.

2. I took all the emails in the PST section of the local Outlook (Internet mail) section and did copy all.

3. I took my mouse and dragged and dropped the mail into the Exchange Server Inbox that is now above the old PST.

Wallahh....all the mail has been moved back to the server. I have to thank Shackdaddy for giving me the inspiration to figure this one out. :)

Just applied Occam's Razor - If you have two equally likely solutions to a problem, pick the simplest

Exmerge does work great in this scenario though. Just make sure the pst has the same name as the users directory name. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back