Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a Netbackup Master Server 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardmandez

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
GB
We have our Master server running on an old server that we want to get rid of and we want to transfer the role to our new management server. Does anyone have information on transfering this role between installations of Netbackup so that we don't have to get the rediculosly priced consultant in.

Cheers

Thanks for the information.
OK. I understand I have to add the new server name on the old Master (before catalog backup). The question is:
Should it be done like described below?
Is there any risk that after this operation OLd Server will regard to the new Master name without possibility to do anything? I have no test environment so it is why I need to have confirmation.
Thank you
Regards
Roman

Writen by CampbellGray (IS/IT--Manageme):
On the old server I -
Open the 'Configure - NetBackup' window. I right click the server name, top most line and select 'Properties read / write'.
Select the 'servers' tab and type in the field 'Select as Master server in all lists' the name of the new server then press the 'M' button and then press 'OK'
I right client the clients tab and go through the same process as above and change the master server.
Now I try to do the backup. After I start it I get a message back saying 'The following error occurred while attempting to backup the NetBackup catalog: cannot connect on socket'
What I am doing wrong? I can add in the new master server but not do the backup.

There is no bpimage command in the 4.5. Do you know similar command in this version which can do the same?
Thank you
Regards
Roman

It is located in the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd directory.

You can restore a catalog and have access to all tapes even with a new master server name. I've done it and my instructions allow for that. But, the critical point is to have the new server name included in the catalog of the old server which you restore to the new master. You can have two Masters on the same network at the same time, although you generally don't want to, but it's fine during the transition. Just ensure the clients have both servers listed during the transition phase.

I have changed the master server. Restarted. And I am not able to change back to the old name.
Do you know a command which allow to change the Master Srver name?
Thanks
Regards
Roman

Hi
Has anyone done this procedure for Netbackup 4.5 sucessfully?
There are a couple changes in 4.5 and when i completed the procedure everything seemed to work fine except for the fact that all the info that would exist in the activity monitor was not being displayed. I could not see any info on past or current jobs. If i kicked of a job tapes would be mounted and i could see the relavent processes spawning but could not see anything in the activity monitor.
Anyone have any answers to this ?
Thanks

Hi talshekel,
I tried to do it but without success.
Tell me, where did you add the new name of the server on the old Master (2. Add new master server to Servers List in Configuration)? Did you do it like described below?
When I did it I was not able to do catalog backup (netbackup stopped working). If you did it where was your library connected to the old or new server?

Does anyone completed moving Netbackup server to the new hardware with different name with full success on the 4.5 version? Is it possible?

On the old server I -
Open the 'Configure - NetBackup' window. I right click the server name, top most line and select 'Properties read / write'.
Select the 'servers' tab and type in the field 'Select as Master server in all lists' the name of the new server then press the 'M' button and then press 'OK'

I did it quite awhile ago but if i remember correctly i added it to the servers list and also used the "media host overide" option going from the old server name to the new server. I think i also may have placed an entry in the hosts file for the old a new server name in the new master servers hosts file so that when the db was being recovered it resolved the old hostname to the new box.

Mzt4qf, were you successful with this procedure on a Netbackup 4.5 server?

I need to do the same thing and if you were successful I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks.

I followed the procedure mentioned earlier but keep in mind after i completed it i could not see any info in the activity monitor.
I could see processess spawning on the nodes and backups were being done but i could not view any job details through the GUI.

K0EKL,
I did many tests and still were some problems.
Finally I decided to do the new installation and in case it is needed I am doing import of the old tapes.
Regards
Roman

I need to migrate Master from w2000 to Solaris.

Can yo help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back