Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a lot of phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

lozan

Programmer
Mar 10, 2005
US
I am moving buildings and the PBX is also moving. The office phones in the old building (which housed the PBX) will have to be moved (to eliminate down time)to a new SUPL (already installed and up). It is about 270 phones, is there any easy way of doing this or does it have to be individual moves?

If you have the liscense you can duplicate the TNs on the new superloop and have crossconnects ran - then you would only need to delete old location.

Or (this is the way I would do it- assuming IPEs are moving also)you could still have crossconnects done duplicate to the loops on old system (25 pr hanging and waiting to be connected to IPEs that are moving over)Then when you move system - connect 25pr cables and phones should be up.

If you have OTM you can do a global change on the TN's and transmit them to the new PBX.

when i have a mass move i put the set type, the new tn and the old tn in an excel and run a script that moves them one every seconds.. another way is to use a script to copy each set and then change key 0 back to the original dn, plus add back any dig's (they do not copy).. scripts are faster then otm and because i write them i trust them.. if you've used scripts or would like to start, i'll post a simple mov script that takes the data from an excel (saved as a comma delimited)

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

John if you could post the basic script it would really help. Personnally I do not trust OTM, I would rather program it myself via procomm.

not at work to test fire this but it should work, you'll need three columns, (no heading, no blank lines)

Code:
3904   4 0 0 0    4 0 1 0
2616   16 0 4 2   20 0 5 3

i build that in excel then save as a tab delimited. paste that into your procomm editor and do a save as "abc.txt" if you skip that step i tend to get extra returns or spaces i don't need.. here's the script, let me know if we need to adjust it for your app.. the txpace statement slows the transmit down so it will not get ahead of the screen.

Code:
Proc main

string style
   string from   
   string to

integer count
   string szline
   fopen 0 "abc.txt" read

while not feof 0
   SZLINE = "2"
   fgets 0 szline

strtok style szline "t"  1  
    strtok from szline "t"  1 
     strtok to szline "t"  1
   set txpace 30

transmit "mov ^M"
   waitfor "TYPE: "
   transmit style
   waitfor "TN "

transmit from
   mspause 30

transmit to
   transmit "^M"

mspause 30

waitfor "REQ: "

count += 2
   endwhile
   fclose 0
   fclose 1
   call main

endproc

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

How do you run the script, what should it be named, and whhat program do I use to run the script?

in procomm plus, pull up aspect editor (alt e) click new, paste the script in a new page, do a save as, any name works, (mov.was) next do a compile, that tells you if it will run, then in another blank page paste your tab delimited.. from the crtl editor you will see your new file name, select it and click run, that script starts after you log in and go to ld 20...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Hi
I guess you're not moving all units (cards), cause you could use the move card in this case, otherwise the J.P the script option I think is the best.
You can also use the script posted:

Don't forget to backup the actual database to a different diskette, I guess it will be easy and fast to restore it.

I'd verify there are no Symposium/ACD phones that are moving. If there are, I would NOT recommend a MOV or CPY command, because of possible corruption. I've seen it, and lived it. Thats something you might want to consider.

lozan
I;m confused which is very easy

you have a PBX (81 or 61) in site A with about 270 sets
you are moving to site B that has a superloop on a new 81 or 61 or is this a fiber remote? and what Rls are you on?

It's only dialtone-VZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back