Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a file attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
I'm using Exchange 2000 Server and Outlook 2000 clients. I'm wanting to automatically move specific attached files from a specific mailbox to a location on the server. I know how to move or forward the e-mail message, but I only want to move the file attachment, not the whole message. Any advice?

Save attachments off the message and then delete the attachment off the message. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Right. Do you know of a way to automate this process from the server side?

Out of the box there isn't a way... You do it manually. Dan

Speaking of that, I find that when I delete an entire email from the M: drive, the folder shows it gone but the email still comes up in outlook when the user opens up outlook (attachment also). Is there a different way? Basically, I need to do this to remove virus emails before the user has a chance to even get at them.

Hi if this is the case i wood advise u to get a AV for Exchange 2000. This is the best way to keep your exchange enviroment out of Virus and at the same time protect your clients. And the most o AV soft for Exchange do permite attachement Bloking. But remember that only a complete virus solution will keep all your network out virus or at least try to keep.
I use Trend ScanMail for Exchange but there others also.

Hope this will help you.

Yes get Antivirus and don't go into the M drive to do anything! It is there for people to write code and have easy access to the database. Not for admins! :) Dan

Ok, sounds logical. But what if there is an email that I want to remove from multiple recipients. What is the best way to do that then.

Exmerge has this option.

You can specify subject and/or attachments. Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back