Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a Coral iPx500...any suggestions? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

esoare

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
US
Hi,

A customer asked me to move a Coral iPx500. It has no voicemail, and looks pretty simple.

But, prudence is best when accomplished before a task. So I have some questions.

Is there a way to backup the system?
Does it have a battery or capacitor that I should be concerned with?

Below is how the system looks.
To me it seems to be all digital phones, with some analog sprinkled in.

MCP: MCP IPX
9:
8:
7: 8SLS IPX
6: 8TC IPX
5: UGW IPX
4:
3: 8SFT IPX
2: 16SFF IPX
1: ICMC

The software is from 2004, but I couldn't tell a particular version on the label.

My background is in Nortel products, and I learned the Avaya Partner ACS from books.

Look forward to hearing from someone.

esoare

p.s. If you could, with your suggestions, also point to a link with some books, that would be awesome.

"Teach a man to fish" and I need lessons on this Tadiran!

I found an Coral IPx500 I&M Manual.

But suggestions still needed.

Thanks,
esoare

Hi,

First stop...FAQs at
MCP: MCP IPX - processor
9:
8:
7: 8SLS IPX - 8 analogue xtns
6: 8TC IPX - 8 analogue trunks
5: UGW IPX - IP card (xtns & trunks)
4:
3: 8SFT IPX - 8 digital xtns (newer FlexSets 120/280 and older DKTs too)
2: 16SFF IPX - SFF?? or SFT (see above)??
1: ICMC - Integrated Coral Message Centre voicemail

Coral is easy. I taught myself with books and trial & error. Menu is all in English and structured easily. FAQs show you all the main stuff.

As for backups, the flash card stores 2 DBs as well as the working config. DB is backed up to DB0 on a schedule, and you can manually backup to DB1. You can use software called Binary Backup to download but this is obtained from Tadiran (or distributor) - it's free, not sure if I still have a copy somwehere. iCMC voicemail is OS/2 based and backup is generally manual.

Hope that helps.

Hey, according to your post, the system has no VM. But the ICMC card is a voicemail card.

Moving the system should be easy. Yes, there is a battery on the CPU.
The only way to back it up is to get into programming. You can back up to the flash card and/or to your laptop.

First off,

Thanks!

I just have some notes and two more questions.

The ICMC card has 1 red light on OP-STA2... From my pictures it looks like all the other lights on the card are off. (maybe it hasn't been programmed up, or the V-mail is bad?)

The Battery on the CPU, should that last for 2 hours while I move the system? (not keeping the system up, but keeping the programming)

I found the Binary backup. Looks to me like it is just a com port to the CPU and run the program...right? (ok, that's three questions in fact. :) )

I come from Nortel. And the Norstar KSU, keeps it's programming through thick and thin, but it's nice to have a backup.

Off the top of my head I can't remember what all the LEDs mean. I'll have to have a look at the manual. There are LEDs for HDD activity and LAN activity. OP-STA1 & STA2 are to do with the activity of the actual voicemail application if I remember correctly. From memory there's a 'shutdown' button on the iCMC or you can shutdown from inside it's programming (different to Coral PI).

The battery should last for months or years! It's just a CMOS battery like any computer has. Assuming you haven't left the Coral turned off, without the battery isolated, for an extended period of time ie it has been plugged into mains, then it should be fine.

Binary, yep just run it. It will take some time depending on the size of the database. I'd also backup to DB1 in the PI (just run BACKUP and follow your nose.

Corals are bulletproof. That's why the people who run them choose them. But like all the big manufacturers like Nortel, Avaya, etc they're built to last.

So I tried running the utility and it did not go through. Something about a bad password / communications.

I connected Hyperterminal 9600,8,N,1 and got the "ENTER PASSWORD". Tried the defaults based on the manual, but no go. So I could not do a backup....

It looks like a previous post got deleted. ( I placed an email address in it, maybe this one will get through) Can you send an e-mail to onetimeonly "at" auxium.net? I would like to make contact.

I am a guy over in the Portland, OR area, and would like some support if I really screw things up. :)

I am doing this 12/10 6am moving the system, I don't expect to have things hooked up till about 8am.

Thanks,

esoare

You need to match the speed with what KB0 is set to. 9600 is default and would work but to speed up the download you should increase it.

As for the password not matching, this is obviously a must. Can you get in to normal programming? Whatever password you use there should work. If you can't get into programming then you're a bit stuck, you can't even do a backup to the flash (there's one on there anyway but you can't get in to restore should it all go pear shaped without a password!).

They block posts with passwords and emails on here I believe. And there's no private messaging function :( I'll drop you a line.

I realize this is an old post, I hope the move went ok. Just for the information though. To run Binary, you must first login to the PI from Hyperterminal, than exit the program without logging out. Then you start the Binary.

@reataylor, I was almost going to correct you on that but it's been a few years since I last touched a Coral. I thought Binary promopted for password but then remembered that's ASCII that does that. So you are correct in that you'd need to login to the PI with Hyperterminal then close that and open Binary.

Thanks everyone for your help. This is a little bit late, but thought I would update.

Everything went well. All the programming was there. I had my cut sheet which showed what jumpers I needed to connect after the move, to which station. The only thing I did not account for, was a NIC card which handled some VoIP 4 digit dialing to Seattle.

I ran a cable 284' end to end and got that working also.

The voice mail card though there was dead, according to what some of the people were saying. So i said "call me if you need any help with that."...then I ran! :) lol

Goes to show you, even a nortel guy can move a Corel PBX. :)

l8r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back