Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving 97 Database to 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmgibson

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
I am trying to convert several 97 databases to 2000 but I continue to not have success. When I open the database in it says "The Current User Account Does not Have Permissions."

Now these database haven't been secured before (intentionally atleast). I have skimmed the Access Security Whitepages and it says to Grant all Access to the user group, add the Admin back to the Admins groups. All of this already existed since the database hadn't been secured. I did clear the password for Admin, but still I can't convert it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

HI

A guess, but..

do you have read/write permission in the folder conataining the mdb you are trying to convert?

Access updates even the 97 version I believe during the dialog, do you want to open as is / convert the database, so you need write permission to the mdb Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Find the original .mdw for those dBases. That is where you want to change your permissions and so forth, not in your .mdw file. When you find it, search for *.mdw and replace your "System.mdw" with the original (change the name of yours first to System_1.mdw or something similar).

Adding yourself and changing account info will only have an effect on the original .mdw.

Sean.

Ok,

I have found the original .mdw file that was used to secure the database. I joined that group, went to access 97 made the security changes (cleared admin password, and verified that the Admin was in the Admins group).

Now if I try to access the db from 2000 I still have the same problem. Do I need to join a different workgroup in 2000 before it will work?

Did you save the new .mdw as System.mdw on your machine? If you did, it should at least be asking you for a password.

Was the old .mdw on a network? perhaps the dBase wants to find it in a certain spot, but it should work wherever your current .mdw resides.

Sean.

Try opening a blank 2002 mdb. Import all your objects.
Good Luck

I don't know about 2002, but it probably won't import the relationships, so unless you know how they are stup, it may not do you any good.

Sean.

Is there any way to tell exactly which .mdw file secured a specific database?

Not that I know of. Just try them all. There can't be hundred's. Even ten would only take you 2 minutes to find out. Beyond that, look for some ways around Access security. I don't know much of it, but I believe there is something with the SHIFT key which can get you past the security (because I've seen FAQ's on disabling the SHIFT at start-up to avoid this).

Check the FAQ's again for more security ideas.

Sean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back