Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Movie won't progress - please please please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjstone323

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
US
I'm trying to make a Flash guestbook work.

I pretty much just adapted source code with my own look, so it should work - but I must have messed something up.

In the demo, the book moves past the "Read Entry" page to a page where you can either read messages or enter a message. Mine just stops at the "Read Entry" point. How do I make it go past? I can't figure it out by looking at the original source files... Is it the cgi configuration? Argh...
Here's a URL to look at what I've done:

Here's the demo at Flashkit -

I would be more than happy to send you my edited .FLA if you can help...
Thanks!
Marianne

Here is the ASP in the frame that seems to be the one it's hanging on:

count= "0";
todo= "read";
index= 1;
eof= "false";

Or it could be this frame:

if (eof eq "true"){
gotoAndPlay ("ende");
} else {
gotoAndPlay ("read");
}

"ende" is the section I want it to go to; "read" is the section it's hanging on.

Any ideas?

Marianne

It's probably the way the cgi script is configured. Take a look at Matthias' readme.txt or the Flashkit tutorial and make sure you've gone through every step there.

Thanks - I've done that a number of times (but somebody had to suggest it, of course, so it might as well have been you) - and I actually have another, more complete set of instructions from Flashkit that I've checked over as well.
The only things he tells you to configure are the "$basedir" line, to change "kitbook.txt" if you've renamed it, and to turn on the local "referer" by changing it from "0" to "1".
All the documents are in their proper directories and chmoded to the proper permissions.
I wish it *was* the .cgi script - I probably could figure it out then... Flash, tho' I love it, can be sneaky... it's probably one of the graphics I deleted... argh.
Still hoping for someone to take a look at the .fla... anyone? anyone?
MS

Well, it works now!!!
I just had to change one thing - one of the variables in the ASP was marked "false" for some reason in the original .fla - just for kicks I changed it to "true" and the movie scooted right past to where it was supposed to be - Then my ISP did something on their end so that the .txt file could be accessed by the Flash to read & write - and it's working just peachy now!
If you want to take a look, it's here:

Best -
Marianne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back