Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moveing priv1.edb for space requirement in c drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeriyurParthi

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2001
IN
hi all
i have an exchange 2000 server in win 2000 professional. am badly running out of space in my servers hard disk . mean time i have an another partition in the same hard disk. is it possible to move the 2 files (priv1.edb,priv1.stm) which is in c:\program files\exchsvr\mdbdata\... to D: drive. lot of replies and suggestions will be more helpful. i need to know the following answers.
1) wheather is it possible to move from under server - group-mailbox storage- properties-database-
exhange database
c:\program files\exchsvr\mdbdata\...
exchange streaming database
c:\program files\exchsvr\mdbdata\...

thanks a lot
parthi

Yes, it's possible.

In Exchange System Manager just drill down to the Storage Group you want to move, right click it and select its properties, then change the location in the General tab of the database (and, if desired, the transaction logs). Both of the file (.EDB and .STM) must be moved to the same location.

Good luck!

Gary McDonnell

tahnks a lot gary.
i have another doubt, in MDBDATA folder i have 4 files,

priv1.edb - 950 mb
priv1 - 1.08 gb
pub1.edb - 6.00 mb
pub1 - 4.00 mb

can we delete the priv1 file , which has no extension and occupying more hard space. your replies will be more helpful. if we can delete then my space problem will be solved temporarly. thanks
periyur

No you shouldn't delete it. The database .edb files are generally accompanied by a streaming file, although admittedly yours does seem big for a streaming file, and the fact it does not have an extension is unusual. However, I don't know what else it could be so I certainly wouldn't get rid of it.

thanks yfronts. the information was very useful for me. recently am faceing a problem in exchange the space of harddisk is occupying rapidly by this file. i dont know what might be wrong. even then i dont know what to do. can you guess what might be the problem?? i have another doubt. if am i moveing the priv1.edb files to d: drive should i move these files with it??. please let me know the information. thanks a lot
periyur

Yes, following problems I had with one of my databases which was failing to mount, I wanted to change the partition of where it was located to another drive. The purpose being to see whether I had corrupt sectors on the partition where it was stored.
It is really easier than it seems, and just do exactly as explained above by gmacdonnell. It copies both files over for you. Then you just need to restart the Exchange Information Store service to make it effective. Check if the files are there in Windows Explorer afterwards and if your disk space is looking better.
To reduce the size of these files you can use various tools:
1. Performed offline degragmentation using eseutil
2. Performed repair with integrity check (back up file first) using eseutil.

For the disk space also check to see if your backups are working correctly. Disk space can be used up very quickly if backups are not running correctly and deleting the .log files after every backup. (check the mdbdata directory for the log files and check the dates and when your backup runs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back