Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moveable Type shows parent directory listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacster

Technical User
Jan 28, 2005
US
Not sure where to post this, but editorial people as work have installed MT w/our host, but when you go the the url, it shows the entire directory listing rather than the home page. Other directories for the site work fine. Ideas?

thanks,
donna

the 'home page' should be renamed to index.html (or index.htm or index.php)

It is named index.html. There are no other index files in the directory (blogs). Other files/directories on the site recognize index as the main page in their directory, that's why I'm assuming related to MT.

thanks

The behavior to automatically load a directory index file (index.html) is purely a function of the web server itself. If it's not doing that, a few things come to mind. Most of this will be in linux/apache speak because that's what I'm most familiar with, but Windows/IIS will have equivalents.

[ul][li]Permissions on the index.html file itself. Depending on how it got there (real ftp, an upload script, an installation script, etc.) it's possible that the file can not be read by the web server process due to a permissions problem. Even if you can read it, doesn't neccessarily mean that the web server can.[/li]
[li].htaccess (or whatever equivalent) overriding the default directoryindex settings[/li]
[li]This folder is outside of the normal webserver's documentroot, so the default directoryindex directives do not apply.[/li]
[/ul]

That's what immediately comes to mind, there are probably other possibilities, that I'm not thinking of, but the problem is in the web server itself, not the application.

Thanks, smah - I'm going to look into the structure now.

Probably the first thing that I should have asked is:

When you see the directory listing at the root of the website, what happens when you click on the index.html file that you see? Does the page load normally from that point?

Yes - loads normally at that point. I've posted some htaccess stuff I found about this on the Apache forum. I didn't set up any of this site, so am coming in blind as to what's gone on.

thanks,
donna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back