Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move Terminal Services Licensing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozmokramer

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2004
US
What is the best way to move My Terminal Services Licensing Installation with 6 Cals to new hardware.

Terminal services licensing is basically all that is left on an aging server that I would like to get rid of.

Do I de-activate then re-activate on the new server?

Anybody ever done this before?

Just did this myself.
Yes, that is the best way.
First you install the License service on your new server, then activate it, install your licenses ( all of which can be done ONLINE) and then after your licenses have been successfully installed, just go to your old server and remove the licensing service. Add/Remove Components / Terminal License Server (no reboot required) however DO keep this in mind. You WILL want to make sure you service pack your NEW machine AFTER you install the license server. There are some new files that you will need to prevent connectivity issues. lserver.exe should be dated 3/22/2004 There are a couple other files, but that's the most important one.

If you can't get it patched with MS updates, contact MS directly and they can send you the HOTFIX. All TS support issues are FREE of charge from Microsoft. :)

-SWarrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back