Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move system setting back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelad

Technical User
Sep 10, 2000
CA
Hello, I would like to set the windows 98 system setting back to the first reboot. However, I only know how to do this in Windows 95. Where you rename system.1st to system.dat. Does any body know how to set the system back to the first reboot on win98, the one that say's "starting win98 for the first time" on the screen? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Eelad

Because Windows98 has scanreg /restore as a possible rescue, it doesn't have that feature. You would have to format and reinstall. Or possibly if you had room on the hard drive, install Windows into another folder. Rename the current Windows folder first. If you overinstall, I don't think you get a Brand New Registry.

You should have a System.1st file and you should be able to rename it to system.dat and put it in the Windows directory.

Do I have this right, is the difference between scanreg and scanreg/restore,
"scanreg" restores the most recent boot, and "scanreg/restore" restores the first boot?

I'm sorry. I was confusing SYSTEM.DA0 and USER.DA0 in Windows 95.These are system.dat and user.dat from the last successful Windows Start.
System1st is so bare bones. I wouldn't use it.
In Windows98
Scanreg /restore is the command to restore a previous registry.

Scanreg scans the registry for errors and then prompts you to make a backup.

EEland,

You need to use some sort of switch with scanreg. scanreg /restore brings up 5 backups with different dates to choose from.

Here are the "basic" switches to use (must be run from the command prompt in pure DOS):
Windows Registry Checker

Usage: SCANREG [/<option>]

<option>
? : Displays usage.
BACKUP : Backup the registry and related system configuration files.
RESTORE : Choose a backup to restore.
FIX : Repair the registry.

Running scanregw from the Run box while in Windows will give you the latest backup of the registry.

reghakr

If you are gong to take action, yes, you need a switch. Typing scanreg and pressing enter will run the registry checker.

But of course, none of these will put you back to a fresh windows install. That can't be done because of the apps. etc you've since installed. Scanreg/restore is only any good for getting you out of trouble by reverting to, say,yesterday's registry. Must be used with care, though, as if you installed something since the copy you are using to restore with, all sorts of problems may arise. The only (future) answer is to format, re-install windows, drivers and basic apps and then to create an image of C: on a CD rom, so you can revert to this rather than go the whole re-install route again. I know it to be possible, but haven't done it myself. Perhaps someone else could suggest some appropriate software and explain how it's done. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

I finally figured this one out. I'm able to replace system.dat with system.1st, then reboot. When that's done, just reinstall the OS on top. Just need to reinstall everything, but it does give a clean operating system with no data lost.
Thanks Everybody! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back