Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move SMS Collection from Parent to Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

shorty545

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2004
US
Is there a way to move an SMS collection from the parent site, to a child site?

The child site is a site database.

My issue is that i want an administrator to be able to manage the collections on the child site. But the collection was setup on the parent site. Therefore, it appears locked on the child site, and my administrator cannot modify it.

Is there a way to move the collection from the parent database, to the child database, without manually recreating the collections?

Not that I am aware of. Recreating a collection using a query is a snap, if they were manually added machines...yuck, however you can use makecoll (I think that was the name of it) to add a list of names to a collection.

The good news is they are bringing back drag and drop to SMS in SCCM :-D

You can try the following:
- Export collection from the parent site to a .mof file using Export objects.. right click menu.
- Edit the file to change the collection's name.
- Import the file on the child site.

Drag and drop works, however, if I drag it from the parent to the child, it remains locked. It will not migrate between the 2 databases.

Final resolve was to manually recreate all the collections on the child database and remove them from the parent.

Thanks again for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back