Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move Server Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

futbolman

Technical User
Jun 8, 2001
US
If anyone has used the Move Server Wizard that comes with SP4, I would like to hear about your experience, good or bad. I am outgrowing my current server, and see no need to go to Exchange 2000 as of yet. I will be building a new box with considerably more room.
Any other suggestions are also welcome.

I would like to know if this is going to work too, but there seems to be nothing on this forum that provides feedback about the tool. I have to bring up about 5 remote Exchange 5.5 EE servers from another organization into our organization, and I don't have additional servers to copy mailboxes over to. In other words, it is the move server tool or nothing...

the tool works fine. The other option is to use a great big pst file!

Tell me more about this tool, I have to move servers this week and I was going to use Exmerge and export the acount details.

Maybe this Move wizard would be a better idea.

Jonathan

There are several ways to do it (most of which have been covered in this forum recently).

One - (might be outdated i.e. not work). Use mailmig. Think this only works from ccmail though.
Two - add the new server to the existing site. Then Highlight all users and do a move mailbox.
Three - Install the new machine as a clone to the old one and restore from backup. You get SID trouble and allsorts with this.

I have used this tool over 20 times now and it is the business.

However there are some gotchas:

1. make sure you have all servers at the same Service pack
I use SP6a and SP4(exch)
2. REMOVE THE EVENT SERVICE FROM EXCHANGE !!!!!!
3. Backup
4. Copy the Directory Services Directory before you run.
if the move fails at the IS update you can just copy this back to get started agin if you have a large PRIV ( you do this at your risk not mine!).
5. According to the docs you can move the IMC. I would strongly advise you document and remove it the put it back afterwards.
5. OST Users will need to recreate - I get them to delete and recreate.
6. Users may have to "Check name" again in their profile.

Other than that it is a brilliant piece of software. I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back