Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move P4 chip to another MoBo

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyred

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2004
US
Hey folks,

To make a long story shot, Ihad a little system problem and Inow need to move my 2 Ghz P2 chip to a new MoBo. The fan and heat sink alone are kicking my butt, so one I have to get that off and then move the chip. It's been a while since I set up anything, so what need I need to be midful of when moving this chip? What about the conductive grease? Someone also told me that some manufactures are gluing chips to fans. Anyone ever heard this? I am working on an HP 752n. Any thoughts or warnings would be appreciated before I jump into this>

Thanks folks.

If no grounding strap available just touch the side of the case (as long as its not plastic) as this will ground you. Of course remove the power cord.

Fan and heatsink can be a bit of a pain. But pry that sucker off there. Your not using the old mobo so break the clips on it. If you do end up damaging the heat sink or fan there cheap enough to buy. $20 get a good one for a P4.

When removing the processor handle by the ceramic edges and don't shuffle your feet in cotton socks across a shag carpet and you should be fine.

Thanks Guys, I just now realized I called it a P2 chip. You guys figured out it was a P4 obviously. Anyway, last time I replaced one, once I removed the fan I had to reapply the thermally conductive grease. Are they still using that on the P4's? Would it be important to apply a new layer?

And by the way you guys are awesome for helping me out.

Thanks

Yes, once you get the fan and CPU off the board, you will see an impression of the chip on the underside of the fan base (heatsink). I would scrape off the old paste with a razor blade and then apply new paste to the top of the CPU once it is place on the new board. Lock the fan/heatsink in place and you're all set.

Stay clear of any metal implements that could scratch or mark the core or heatsink base (sorry Steve688)
If this is an original Intel heatsink? the heat transfer material is likely the proprietory alluminium coated shim/pad.
This can be easily peeled off and with the use of alcohol/thinners or similar solvent (applied to natural fibre cloth) thoroughly clean both surfaces, scratch free!
Apply a semi translucent application of paste to both surfaces (remember the paste is not supposed to be a layer between the contact surfaces, it is mean to just fill the microscopic surface inperfections between the mating materials, forcing out small pockets of trapped air and replacing these voids with thermal paste.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back