Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move MAS 90 to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggmh123

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2013
US
Hello!

Via other posts here and what I suspected from my brief stint working at a MAS 90 reseller 13 years ago, I have found that I can move MAS 90 for Windows 3.71 to a new server by just copying the whole \MAS90 folder and its contents, and then re-running the workstation setup on each workstation.

What I need to know is if I can move from Server 2003 32-bit to a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 or Server 2012 server using the same method. If it can do the move to Server 2008/2012, would it matter if that Server 2008/2012 is physical or if it's a Hyper-V guest VM?

My client can barely afford a new server, much less upgrading MAS 90 right now, otherwise, we'd upgrade, too.

Could it really be that simple?

Thank you for your help!

Gregg Hill

I seriously doubt that v3.71 will run on a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 or 2012. That version is so old anything you do will be a crap-shoot as far as getting it to run. And the worse thing is that Sage will not assist at all as support for that release ended long ago.

Visit Sage's Online Community

Unfortunately, there is no Windows Server version past 2008 that is 32-bit. Server 2008 R2 and newer are 64-bit only. It's time to have them ask Blytheco for upgrade pricing.

I had them send an Installed Applications list and it shows Blytheco enhancements, so I don't know if that would effect the "grab the whole folder and copy it" method even if it could run on 2012.

Thank you for your input.

Gregg Hill

I am going to have them contact Blytheco to ask if their enhancements will affect the move to a new server. I know that they use custom Crystal Reports done by Blytheco, but I think that enhancements are something else. As I mentioned before, I only support the network and not MAS 90, except for workstations setups. Now I have this pending move to deal with, which is why I came here to ask a few questions.

This company is in dire need of new equipment. Heck, they still run MAS 90 on a Windows 2000 terminal server for their remote sites!

Gregg

I have NO problem not using Blytheco! Can you recommend a good MAS 90 reseller and support company in Orange County, CA?

Louie,

What a small world. The DSD where I live is run by the same person I worked for when I first got into this business back in 1999.

Gregg

we have been running 3.41 on sbs2008 (64bit) for almost 4 years no issues. Do have clients on 64bit win 7too no issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back