Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move mailboxes b/w E2K servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edney

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I am wanting to move maiboxes b/w 2 exchange 2000 servers that exist in the same organization. When I am trying to move mailboxes (by right clicking user account in AD users & computers, exchange tasks, move mailbox) I cannot move the mailbox, the other server is greyed out and not available. I have tried doing this as domain admin, with the exchange service account, etc..
One server belongs to one admin group, the other server belongs to a different admin group.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks Edney.

Hi,

I have tried moving mailboxes as users with Exchange Full rights and Exchange Administrator rights, still no joy, any suggestions??

I think that the users must has full admin rights in BOTH the groups that the servers are in. If your user does not have Admin rights on both servers then you may have a problem.

I have FULL Administrator rights in both admin groups currently, anymore suggestions??

I thought I replied?

You can't move mailboxes between admin groups in Mixed Mode.

Is your Org Native mode? Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Thanks Dan,

this will be the problem, our Windows 2000 Domain is still in mixed mode. We have no pre-Windows 2000 domain controllers so will convert to native mode then give it a whirl.

Thanks again, Cheers Edney.

In ESM right click your ORG name and check if native or mixed mode. 01110000

Thankyou for everyone's help, this has been resolved by changing the E2K org to native mode.
I wasnt able to switch to native mode without removing the old directory connectors from the Ex5.5 admin tool, after that everything was no problem.

Somewhat on the topic...can you RESTORE a mailbox from one Exchg server to another (servers are in the same domain/organization)? I thought I read that this can be done, but haven't had success. Any confirmations that this can be done? Any ideas how to restore mailboxes to another server if server1 crashes, but server2 is still running?

Thanks,
Drew

well if the mailbox is on server1 and server1 bites it, go to tape, redirect the restore to server2 01110000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back