Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move Mailbox problem from Exch 5.5 to Exch 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2002
US
On my test network, I have AD running and have gone through the entire deployment per Microsoft's guides. I have Exchange 5.5 running on one box (Windows 2000 Server), and have Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server running on another box (Windows 2003 Server). I've installed the Active Directory Connector and setup 2-way replication. All is working, except:

Today I've moved several mailboxes from Exch55 to Exch2003. They moved fine for my test, but now if I try to send an email from an existing Exch55 account to one on Exch 2003, I get an "Undeliverable" error, stating "The recipient name is not recognized". I'm using the GAL to select the recipient's name from the AD list of users. The error message indicates it's trying to find the recipient name on the Exch55 server.

It seems obvious that the 2 servers are sharing a GAL, but they aren't communicating properly.

Mark

Once you move the mailbox from the 5.5 server to 2K3 you either have to delete the mailbox off of the 5.5 server or rename. AD registers the move and points it to the 2K3 server. But you still have ADC running and it's fighting with AD saying that it's not on the 2K3 server....it's on the 5.5 server. Easiest way is to just rename the mailbox on 5.5 then after everything seems okay...delete it from 5.5.

OK - That makes sense, but I'm not sure how to rename the mailbox on the Exch55 server without affecting the Exch2003 server.

For example: I move a mailbox using the Exch2003 System Manager and the email box (user) is moved from Exch55 to Exch2003. The ADC is performing 2-way replication, so both Exchange servers still show the email account. The Exch55 Admin program shows the mailbox now "housed" on the Exch2003 server (which is correct now that it's been moved). If I rename or remove the email account off Exch55, won't that do the same on Exch2003, and the user mailbox will be deleted?

I must be missing something. Even if the ADC was shutdown during the mailbox move, I would think it would still delete after ADC was restarted since it would find a difference and try to replicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back