Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move Information Store with Offline Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnusFox

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2001
US
Good day,

I am trying to move my Private Information Store from the D drive to the E drive. I cannot seem to get the Optimizer to complete correctly. When I tell it to move the files it locks up and the files never gets moved.

I think I can beat it by doing an offline backup and restore it to the new location. Then, use the regedit to change the locations of the stuff based on the following KB article #183266:

Please tell me if I am walking into a trap, or if this would be the correct method for doing an offline move.

Thanks,
MF

Hi,
First of all, this might not be a problem. The move is not very fast, (and then I mean it is extreamly slow).
But if its realy hung and you want to move it manualy thats OK.
Stop the Exchange services.
Make a good backup. (On disk or tape)
Use esefile (from E2k) to move the file. It is faster and can handle large files.
Follow the article and dont forget isinteg -patch.
It will change the path inside the database.
Start the Services.
Make a new online backup!!! The old one will not work well!

// Wibbe

So how long would one think it should take to use the Optimizer to move a 4GB PRIV.EDB?

I let it go for like 45 mins. I have a pretty fast disk setup: Hardware RAID 5 SCSI LVD. It take me about 40 mins to do an online backup of the entire IS, both PRIV and PUB.

Do you really think it could take hours to complete this move?

Thanks

No, If the database is only 4GB it should not take long. Not 45 mins to start anyway.
Did you get any errors in event logg?

// Wibbe

I don't think there were any errors in the EL. I tried a while back and cannot find the date/time.

You spoke of esefile, that would only be used if I copied the DB to another disk rather than tape, correct?

I found another KB article #326472:

Method 2 talks about useing an Import.reg file to make the changes to the paths. Does this sound quicker and easier? Is it just as safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back