Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move Hard Drive from non-functioning computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AELLC

Technical User
Mar 27, 2014
US
For the purpose of data recovery (word documents etc), if a computer fails for any reason other than hard drive failure, and that hard drive is moved into a functioning computer as a secondary drive, is it then possible to simply access the desired files in the functioning computer? I am assuming both computers are using the same OS.

As a secondary drive then yes, you should be able to retrieve your data. The OS is not that important.

In general, yes, even different operating systems in some cases. Most techs prefer using external access methods as that avoids the problems of different drive interfaces.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Well, not entirely true. If you are using windows 7 or 8, you may need to take ownership of the hard drive when you attach it to a machine that is also windows 7 or 8. And although Linux will be able to handle a drive in FAT or NTFS, the other way around can not be done unless you use 3rd party tools. For reading Linux drives in windows, I use Paragons extfs for windows it is free, just have to register, and to take ownership of a windows 7 drive in windows 7 try Link.

Thank you everyone especially rclarke because this will be a WIN7 thing. I won't be able to report back how this works, because the old computer in question is still functioning, but its days may be numbered. Meanwhile we will have an external HD hooked up and are copying files to that.

When I contacted a local computer guru, he recommended not putting the old hard drive into anew computer as a secondary drive. This computer is owned by a friend of my wife's, and if she isn't using the external hard drive that I lent to her, then it's not my responsibility. The hard drive in it is relatively new because the old one failed mechanically, but who knows when multiple capacitors may blow on the MB, etc. We did put in new power supply recently.

AELLC said:
When I contacted a local computer guru, he recommended not putting the old hard drive into anew computer as a secondary drive.

Did he give any reason as to why?

Installing a drive as a secondary data drive should have no effect on the currently installed OS drive. Most Data recovery centers, do exactly that to determine as a first step whether the drive works and is merely corrupted, or if there is any other damage to it.

The only reason not to put it inside a computer is if it has overt signs of burning caused by shorts or other electrical malfunctions that could in turn damage the existing hardware in the computer.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Phil,
He said, depending on the MB, the MB may think it is the new booting drive and that would
cause quite a mess to unravel, something like that.

AELLC said:
He said, depending on the MB, the MB may think it is the new booting drive and that would
cause quite a mess to unravel, something like that.

Not sure what mess he would be referring to.

1. The MB would only ever attempt to boot from a drive if explicitly told to do so when you set it up by being the first drive it sees or by manually choosing the drive to boot from in BIOS.
2. Even if the MB attempted to boot from the other drive, the worst that would happen, is Windows would not boot, because of the difference in hardware. It would not affect the original boot drive in any way, and all that you would need to do is point the MB to that drive again.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Phil,

OK, then maybe I will try that when the old computer does go south. Right now the computer's user doesn't have the mental energy or time to deal with any change, she is trying to write resumes to get a job, and isn't a big fan of computers because of all the trouble she has been having, bad advice from Geek Squad, Best Buy, etc.

Me, I have much less trouble because I have much better machines to begin with and I use my computers extensively for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back