Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move exchange to new box - advice 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzon

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have to move exchange 5.5 from NT box to w2k box. I have approx 20 mailboxes. What is best way of doing this. I was hoping I could install exchange 5.5 on the new w2k server and copy the config/DB over?
There is no backup drive on the NT box as it broken but have usb hard drive .I have very little Exchange experience and have been given this job. I have to use 5.5 as we cannot afford upgrade.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dzon

You can do this the hard way or the easy way. The hard way involves naming your new box the same as the old one and then embarking on a complex process. You can read about that here: or in faq10-3512

The easiest way to do the move is to just add the new server to the Exchange site and migrate the mailboxes to the new server. Here are some notes on that process:

Make sure that the W2k box is in the same domain as the NT box. Install Exchange 5.5 on the W2k box, making sure to install it into the existing Exchange site. Be very careful that you do do that. I would also make sure that you have both Exchange installations fully patched before moving forward.

Once the second server is up, you should be able to open up the Exchange Admin tool on the new server and veiw all the mailboxes. From the destination server (the new one), you should initiate mailbox moves and migrate the 20 mailboxes over to the new server.

See this article for more information:
The troublesome part will be making sure that when you take the old server offline, nothing bad happens. To make sure you're doing this right, read this article:
This should get you through!

ShackDaddy

Thank you for your help

Dzon

Hi,

One more thing before I start. I want to back up mailboxes / DB to USB hard drive. Where are the files located and should I back up anything else.

Thank you advance

Dzon

The mailboxes live all together in a database called priv.edb, in EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA. The public folders are in pub.edb.

There are transaction logs as well...

faq10-6004

Hi,

I have problem adding new win2k server to NT4 exchange site. I have installed w2k on new server and start to install exchange I select join existing site and it will not allow me to join.

Can you connect a Windows 2000 AD server to a NT4 domain? 
Upgrading the NT4 box is out of question as it is very old.

Thanks

Dzon

Make sure you're logged in as the Exchange service admin account. Or provide those credentials.

The windows2000 server CANNOT be running AD for it to join the existing NT domain. You never mentioned that you were going to be migrating the mail installation from one domain to another at the same time. Are you?

The easy way to do all this is to join the W2k server to the NT domain while the W2k server is not running AD. Then once the server has taken on all the Exchange roles, migrate the server to a new, prexisting AD domain and then, if you like, run DCPROMO to make it a DC. Then you will have to reassociate all the mailboxes with user accounts. (take this with a grain of salt, I may be missing something critical here)

Or upgrade your domain to one that W2K can support, which I think involves servicepacking all the NT DC's to prep them for the introduction of AD. That way the new server can run AD (after it has joined the NT domain and all prep has been done).

For now, make sure the server is not a DC in an AD domain (even if it's by itself in one) and make sure that it is pointing to your existing NT WINS system, so that it can properly find a domain to join. Once the server is part of the NT domain, you should be able to join the existing Exchange site.

ShackDaddy

Hi,

Sorry to confuse the situation - i confused.

beginning I did not have AD on w2k server, I tried to install 5.5 on w2k server and it told me it needs to be AD before continue - so i installed AD.

In nutshell I have this:

1 NT 4.0 server with Exchange 5.5 - very old no back up
1 new w2k server
I have 20 mailboxes
no other servers.
currently the new w2k is a DC with AD installed.

i want to achieve this:

migrate exchange 5.5 from NT 4.0 to W2k

Please advice as me really confused

Dzon

Which article?

I currently removing AD from w2k server. I hope to connect to nt4 box and move mailboxes over.

Thank you for replying

Dzon

Hi,

Ok, almost there now. I have connected to exchange site and moved over mailboxes. They all appear to be there when I check the new server and their contents have moved also.

I have followed the instruction on tasks to do before disconnecting from old server and have now disconnected and powered off old server. Now I not sure what to do. at the moment my win2k server is still logged into domain, do I change it back to work group or promote to DC?

many thanks for your efforts - could not have done it without your help.

Cheers,

Dzon

Check this tutorial:

forum.gif
NetoMeter

Hi Netometer,

Thanks for reply. My problem is, we have only one server which is controller and exchange 5.5. Currently on NT 4.0, I want to migrate exchange to w2k server. I have followed instruction and have migrated over to w2k. Check mailboxes and fine. I want to down the NT 4.0 box but that is currnetly PDC.
so I have
NT4.0 PDC and old exchange 5.5
w2k server joined to nt domain and new exchange 5.5
I was thinking of simply removing exchange on NT 4.0 and keeping as DC, however this box is very unstable which is why I am doing this.

Ideally I want to down NT box and promote w2k to DC. I have tried this but when I launch exchange it says no servers available.

I feel like going in circles

thanks for help

Dzon

Dzon,
DCpromo the W2K box if it is not a DC already. Migrate all FSMOs to the W2k box, especially the GC and PDC emulator roles. Double check they are all moved.

I think that is where your problem lies.

Also make sure you've moved the public folders over and sorted out their replication.

Thanks to everybody that has assisted me.

Zelandakh, I will take your advise.

For now, I have NT 4.0 domain and w2k exchange and users can access their old mail, contacts etc on the new server.I need to rest from this and revaluate the situation.

Many thanks

Dzon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back