Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move Exchange 2K from Domain Controller to new HW

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuillermoOZ

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
US
I have a main server which is an Exchange Server as well as the domain controller.
Im trying to move the exchange to a new server, but everything I read in my research refers to upgrading to a new harware keeping the same machine name and IP address. Since the Exchange is in a Domain Controller that will remain there, I need to use a new name and IP for this new exchange server. Has anybody done this before? Of course, I am trying to do this with no down-time. I'll appreciate your help!
Thanks
GOZ

Yep, I've read that before, thanks. But I need to use a new name and IP address since I can't change the Domain Controller. The current name is that of the domain controller. My main problem is that I want to do this with no down-time.
Anybody has a clue?

Ok.
My english is not good, but, i will try explain a good.
method.
* First, with Exmerge, you can have pst files as backup from each mailboxes.
* In new hardware, install Windows 2000, Exchange 2000 and join to exchange 2000 in DC.
* Move mailboxes to new server. From Active Directory change home server.
* Set new server as Master and old server as member.
* Uninstall Exchange in DC.
* Configure your firewall and/or dns.

Thank you very much to both of you!, I will try it, and let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back